Kolonial.no is the leading online grocery retailer in Norway, but as a company we’re first and foremost an ambitious tech and logistics company. We’re one of the fastest growing startups in the Nordics, working with huge, complex challenges in order to make the lives of our customers simpler and easier. Want to join us?
Our goal is to create the world's most efficient retail system. Through smart work, passionate customer focus and our own technology we make a difference in the lives of thousands of customers and change society for the better through a completely re-imagined value chain for grocery shopping.
Our customers save more than 60 hours a year, time we believe can be better spent than going to the store. Our effective value chain and logistics save society tonnes of food waste each year and our distribution network replace almost 13,000 individual trips by car to the grocery store each year.
As an Information/UX Designer, your “home-base” will be the UX Design team within the Product & Tech team, while your day to day role will be as the designer embedded within the talented Data & Insight team. The high-level goal of our Data & Insight team is to ensure that Kolonial.no as an organisation gets maximum value (learning, insight, informed decision-making, forecasting) out of its data. The UX information designer’s role is to ensure that the data products we create are of the highest-quality with respect to ease of use, fit for purpose, clarity, and impact.
While we are no longer a start-up but a “scale-up”, Kolonial.no is an organisation that moves quickly and likes to change things often. All designers do a little of everything, and we will welcome (and expect!) you to identify new opportunities for how design can contribute to a better customer experience and operational excellence, and jump on them.
We believe that UX design crossed with Data & Insight can push us to entirely new levels, and Kolonial.no can lead the way in showing how UX can do for data in 2020 what it has done for code over the last 20 years.
- Map out the problems Data & Insight works with into a singular set of services.
- Lead the design work on improving the user-friendliness of Kolonial.no internal data and insight products (machine learning models, reports, dashboards, graphs, tables)
- Build and prototype data visualisations directly in our data system (Looker)
- Demonstrate to the Data & Insight team how to use a user-centric approach to the creation of its data services and products
- Own the design and development of a holistic design system for all information design within Kolonial.no
- Strengthen the connection between the Data & Insight and UX Design teams. How might we combine qualitative and quantitative data for deeper and stronger insights? How might we use data to evaluate design decisions?
- Contribute to building data literacy throughout Kolonial.no, leveraging a designer’s ability to present clearly and tell stories.
- Be an active member of our design team, through sparring and design team sessions.
We look for people who
- Have the passion and a mind for data! If you’re excited about the potential of data and design working together, this is your role.
- Have UX design ability. While this is a role focused on information design, we expect you to use a UX approach, and be well-rounded enough to move between teams and take on different UX projects.
- Are comfortable working with datasets and have a decent sense of quantitative research methods.
- Ask questions. Designers should not be shy about asking lots of questions, especially “the dumb ones.“
- Think in systems and can turn complexity into clarity.
- Prototype and iterate. Kolonial.no priorities speed over perfection. A test mindset helps a lot.
- Take initiative. You’ll be part of both the Design and Data & Insight teams, but you’ll also be expected to identify the best use of your time.
- Are “happy, but not satisfied.”
- Are pragmatic. As designers we compromise and work with constraints, but we’re also ready to take a stand in the name of the user’s experience and craft quality.
- Are process nerds and lifelong learners. We are big on sharing knowledge, especially around how we work together.
- 3-4 years professional experience as a designer in a technology setting
- Education within informatics, graphic design, UX, digital design, interaction design, or similar
- Familiarity with quantitative research methods, statistics, and working with datasets
- Proven record of improving products and processes through analysis and experimentation.
- Welcomed: SQL competence, experience with programming (ideally Python), A/B-testing and optimisation, and a desire to build this competence.
- Enthusiastic and ambitious colleagues that care about helping others
- A huge set of complex and exciting product & tech challenges
- Autonomy to form our path and focus going forward (we align via OKRs like Google, Twitter and Uber)
- A chance to form and build a tech company culture from the ground up
- A transparent workplace where tools like Quip and Slack helps us to stay in the loop
- Good opportunities for personal development in a way that suits you, and a passion for employee engagement
- Hackathons, team off-sites, great lunch from our chef and a wide range of social activities
- Quiet team rooms for focus and open space for discussion - with a nice view overlooking Oslo
- Hands on experience with our logistic operation and customer experience
- The possibility to take stock in the success of the company
As a part of our team you will be working with other enthusiastic, skilled and ambitious people in shaping and growing tomorrow's shopping experience. Recognised as one of the hottest tech-startups in Norway by The Next Web we are aiming to become world leading, and we invite you to join us on the journey. Come build the future with us!
Sounds like you or someone you know?