Product Design Leader
Product Design Leader
Surely is a seed stage NYC-based startup founded to create a world where people can easily make healthy food choices for themselves and their loved ones, freed from the burden and anxiety of nutrition decisions, putting the joy back in food.
Our platform allows consumers to conveniently choose, procure and enjoy the foods that are right for their personal nutritional needs and which fit their lifestyle, guided by expert nutritionists. By allowing a nutrition professional to set the guidelines, restrictions and filters of how a person should eat, combined with a client’s relevant preferences, the platform will create a dynamic eating plan and get the groceries, mealkit, or ready-to-eat meal delivered straight to their door.
Surely is backed by LRV Health, 8VC, and Grand Central Tech. We are fortunate enough to be a part of the 2020 GCT class where we share a great office space with nearly 20 other startups.
Surely recruits, employs, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by applicable law and as a matter of our company ethics.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you at email@example.com
About The Role
As part of the first product team at Surely, you will design the experience and look of products that will bridge the gap between expert nutrition guidance and the food choices their clients make on a day to day basis. We’re on the search for an experienced Senior Product Designer who is obsessed with creating world class product experiences that solve real problems through the power of design and creativity.
If you’re a master of digital design with a strong understanding of tech and want to apply your skills to impact people’s lives for the better, please apply!
In this role, you’ll work with different teams to create pixel-perfect web and mobile products with killer world class consumer experiences. You’ll work on customer-facing visuals and experiences with significantly different (and interesting) needs. As our first designer, you will contribute significantly to the design thinking oriented process of product development, instilling it into our culture, and provide the design components and language that will allow us to develop beautiful and seamless experiences, quickly.
You’ll also get to work on our internal administrative tools, our public landing pages, illustrations, ads and… even swag (definitely swag). We’re looking for deep thinkers who are passionate about UX, design and product.
What You Will Do
- You make the connection between where we want to be as a company and what we need to build from a design standpoint to get there
- You’ll work closely with users of our platform, both nutrition professionals and their clients, to understand what we need to do to make their goals easier to achieve
- You’ll design awesome visual and user experiences for our products
- You collaborate with our product manager and the product development process to help estimate work, measure progress, and communicate needs along the way
- You will work alongside the founders and our product team to build the product roadmap
- You will participate in all essential business functions as needed, helping to build a new nutrition health company from the ground up
- Be a part of shipping our first product!
In your first month, you will start off by learning the ropes. You will:
- Get familiar with our product vision, working closely with the founders and the Nutrition Team. We would like you to take this time to get comfortable with what we believe the platform can look like and give us the feedback only a fresh perspective can bring
- Learn about the distinctive challenges that we are currently facing as we make progress towards our product roadmap
- Working with the founders and product team, define a visual language and UX components to assemble into a consistent experience
- Begin to create high fidelity mockups of our various product experiences
- Work with external agencies (that you may help select!) as we create our visual brand, playing a significant role guiding them towards something that is uniquely us
- Help build the product-dev team by interviewing new product managers, engineers, and designers. When they join us, you'll coach and mentor them in the design processes you will help create
In 2 months, you start putting yourself out there. You will:
- You’ll complete our first visual and experience component library that the product-tech team can implement and use as the building blocks of all of our experiences across consumer facing web and mobile apps to internal tools
- Design our public landing site to represent what we do to the outside world
- Work closely with our product and nutrition team to design experiences that solve our stakeholders challenges
3 months down the road, you will:
- Ensure the functioning experiences delivered by our product team is as defined by the design guidelines
- Begin researching work for future versions of our product experiences across different platforms or using new device capabilities where appropriate
6 months in, we will have your first major release to the general public. You will:
- Provide a significant contribution to Surely’s ongoing design strategy
- Work with Product to prepare for the launch of our first product, performing quality assurance on all aspects of visual design and experience
- Make sure we all have killer swag we’re excited by to plaster on our laptops and wear proudly
- Continue working alongside the greater product-dev org to establish improved design processes to ensure we’re solving the right problems for our customers
- At least 3 years of experience in designing customer facing digital products (web and mobile)
- Strong understanding of usability and user experience principles
- Conceptual thinker with an ability to understand user behavior, conversion, simplicity and usability
- Experience solving complex product UX problems
- Pixel-perfect with attention to the smallest of details
- Strong typography knowledge and design layout principles
- Data visualization skills
- Master of Sketch, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Team player with great communication skills
- B.A in Visual Communication – advantage
- An online portfolio showcasing your skills
- Excited by the prospect of playing a foundational role establishing how we ship product, confidently and quickly, as a team
- Motivated to develop tech products to impact people’s lives positively
- Entrepreneurial track record, eagerness to learn and discover new ideas, solve problems, create and deploy new tools, and move quickly
- Interested in contributing to building a great consumer experience for two very different customers -- nutrition experts as well as their clients
- Experience with real world Design Thinking led product development processes
- Passion for working in an early-stage company and building from the ground up
- Excitement to work with a broad variety of nutrition health professionals
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ability to inspire and collaborate with colleagues from a wide array of backgrounds
What You Get
- A full-time role at a competitive wage with significant equity
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits provided to you and your dependents at no cost
- Option to participate in 401k plan
- Flexible work arrangements, including unlimited PTO
- Training, mentorship, and ability to learn in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- An opportunity to use your skills to help improve nutrition health at a mission-driven company
- A really nice office space
- A stipend to customize the tools you need to do your best work (get a special monitor, noise canceling headphones, a sick mechanical keyboard, a drawing tablet, etc)
- Fun coworkers