At Animoto, we believe video is the most powerful form of communication. That’s why we make best-in-class, easy-to-use online and mobile video creation apps. Our customers use our apps, along with our pre-built narrative templates, to customize their own engaging video stories to share on social media and beyond.
Over the next two years, we have a mission to make video creation faster, easier, and more fun in ways that have never been done before.
We are looking for an experienced UX Researcher to help us gather the customer insights needed to take our web and mobile apps to the next level. In this role you will support product teams by conducting primary research to discover actionable ways to improve the design of the Animoto customer journey. Whether through qualitative or quantitative methods, you will be responsible for determining and executing the best technique to answer the research questions at hand.
What you'll do:
- Plan research initiatives, moderate interviews and user testing sessions, recruit and screen participants, and assist other team members with activities such as note taking, interviewing, and data synthesis
- Analyze findings to provide strategic recommendations based on user mental models, needs, preferences, expectations, and behaviors
- Design and lead user research initiatives using appropriate qualitative or quantitative methods based on objectives, such as, but limited to, contextual inquiry, surveys, interviews, remote and in-person usability testing, heuristic reviews, card sorting, ethnography, and data analysis. Creative use of research methods is highly valued
- Identify and create personas, archetypes, JTBD, and journey maps based on UX research data, and become an expert on our customer segments and products
- Advocate for low-fidelity prototyping and other lean UX techniques to rapidly validate and refine product concepts and designs
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and engineers to identify generative research and product validation opportunities
What we're looking for:
- 1-3 years of experience working exclusively as a UX Researcher
- A bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Human Factors, Human-Computer interaction or a related field
- A passion for user research and an in-depth understanding of the design process
- You approach problems by first insisting the research question is clearly articulated, then creatively applying methods from your wide range of qualitative and quantitative tools to find the answer
- Experience working with an in-house, agile, web or mobile product team
- Awareness of design and usability best practices for web and mobile
- You take a thoughtful approach to decision-making, arriving at recommendations that effectively find the intersection of business goals, user needs, and technology capabilities
- An advanced degree in cognitive psychology, experimental psychology or a related field
- Experience creating research plans aimed at understanding what factors will best promote repeat usage for users
- Time spent researching the needs of social media marketers and/or small business owners/entrepreneurs and gaining insights into what drives such users to share content through multiple channels on to social media
- Any work experience surrounding artificial intelligence (AI) and/or machine learning (ML) and the related research best practices or methodologies
Why join Animoto:
- The opportunity to work with really smart, talented and interesting people (our design team rocks!)
- Opportunities for professional growth
- Weekly catered lunch, bi-weekly Product Demos, Social Fridays, fully stocked kitchen, fun environment, and 5 ways to make coffee at our amazing NoHo office
- Bi-annual company events and hackathons
- Amazing benefits such as 100% medical/dental/vision, equity, 401k, upgraded Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, and corporate discounts with AT&T and Crunch
We embrace the differences of our team members and seek diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education, and all the other things that make us unique. We aim to create a space where employees can bring their true selves to work every day. Animoto is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer.