UX Research Director
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization. We are working to reshape cities to be built around people, not cars. This requires truly understanding people and creating an experience that brings them joy in addition to being more affordable and efficient.
Lyft is seeking a Director to lead and grow our User Research team on Rider Experience, reporting into our Head of Research. This person will propagate a strong research practice, define a vision and strategy for our rider team, and influence product and business strategy. They will also provide mentorship and will be a champion for both Researcher craft and career development across our rider team, as well as help their team focus on executing their best work.
As a qualified candidate, you have incredible knowledge of product-oriented User Research and best practices and how to build a global User Research function.You have a business mindset, adept at driving company-level strategy with extensive experience in engaging with the VP and C-suite to create adoption and action around User Research insights. Your body of work and overall strong track record demonstrates both clear wins for the user and business impact. You look beyond the individual customer and can help to define strategic wins for society, communities.
You're a proven leader, an excellent communicator, and a cross-functional team player that can thrive in a very fast-paced, dynamic working environment. You are comfortable working closely with passionate Researchers, Designers, Product Managers, Engineers, Marketers, Data Scientists as well as executives that care deeply about creating beautiful, high-impact products.
You know the best work comes from diverse teams and you build an organization that provides belonging to every individual and fosters the greatest talent.
- Manage, mentor, coach, and inspire a team of (7) researchers, providing vision, direction and advocacy
- Work closely with executive and senior leaders on our Rider team to elevate the level of user understanding in all aspects of what we do
- Influence strategy through a team that touches every area of the product and your role in the leadership team
- Build relationships with cross functional team members and executives in our Rider org, and effectively speak to what matters most for our community; be a thought-leader and advocate for user-centered design
- Connect user research to other parts of the company and amplify knowledge across Research, Data Science, Market Insights and more
- Step change productivity and accelerate team efficiency by improving processes and workflows
- Mentor and empower your team to deliver actionable insights and drive impactful product decisions
- Experience leading research teams, 8+ researchers
- 10+ years of experience in UX / Design Research
- Strong systems thinking; ability to understand complex feature and marketplace dynamics
- Demonstrated ability to partner with cross-disciplinary partners like Data Science, Program Management, Engineering, and Market Insights to build holistic insight and drive impact
- A track record of leading research teams that influence not only product decisions but company strategy as well
- Experience informing everything from new products and new categories, to iterative product improvements
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and retaining multidisciplinary research teams
- Devotion to quality craft and a master in research (qual and quant) methods and tools
- Highly compelling communicator with ability to inspire, build alignment and drive action
- Ability to work well in an ego-free, highly collaborative, and cross-functional organization
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.