Who we are:
We are BIXAL, a mission-driven organization determined to leave a positive impact on the
lives of people everywhere. And we believe in the potential of our government to deliver
on this mission at a scale like nothing else in the world.
We believe everyone deserves an effective government, and we believe that if we can
optimize the customer experience in this space for our clients and partners, the potential
is absolutely limitless. So we partner with leading Federal agencies to conceive and deliver
powerful data-driven customer experiences through holistic digital and communications
solutions. We offer an array of strategic and digital services including customer-experience
design, data science, analytics, cloud computing and more, but digital innovation alone
does not define us.
BIXAL is more than an agency. It’s a methodology.
It’s a people-absolutely-first approach to solving complex organizational challenges that
gracefully balances cutting-edge technical chops with a deep sense of empathy and
understanding. We relentlessly focus on outcomes, and weave it all together with a unique
agility that permeates across every single step we take.
We bring a high standard and a different creative energy to our Federal clients, and our
wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible. BIXAL unites different people with
different perspectives from all over the world. And then we provide them with an open and
empowered environment where solutions flourish and collaboration is king.
In order to protect our employees and help stem the spread of COVID-19, Bixal team members are currently working entirely in a remote capacity. This will be our policy until we believe our employees can safely return to an office environment. However, you will need to undergo a Public Trust Security clearance which will require you to get fingerprinting done in person.
After the threat of COVID-19 has passed, this role will be based in the greater DC area with the opportunity to work from home several days per week. Occasional trips to the client or Bixal office may be required.
What will you do?
The main purpose of this role is to support the ongoing design and development of a widely used design system in the federal government ecosystem. Additionally, as a member of the core design team, you may work on more than one project at a time, supporting multiple teams with their own clients, project goals, constraints, and timelines. You will report to our Director of Experience Design who reports to our VP of UX and Design. Using your core design skills, you will create and refine digital products to enable useful, usable, and delightful experiences for those who use them.
- Carry out a wide variety of product research, design, and prototyping tasks in the context of developing a design system, including: Understand product goals and user needs. Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback. Create personas based on user research and collected data. Define an interaction model and evaluate its success. Develop wireframes and prototypes around customer needs. Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders. Identify and troubleshoot usability issues. Create mockups and prototypes, including HTML/CSS-based versions. Share progress and interact with team using a version control system.
- Collaborate cross functionally in an agile environment to help create best-in-class digital experiences; working with multi-disciplinary teams including strategy, research, content, visual, and development.
- Facilitate ideation through sketching and collaborative activities, such as design sprints and other participatory design activities.
- Create storyboards and step-by-step flows of varying resolution to communicate a person’s experience through a system.
- Conducting evaluative user research (for example, user testing of prototypes or existing products, heuristic analyses, and interviews).
- Work integrally with developers to shepherd designs through the development process.
- Promote the importance of human-centered design practice throughout the organization and with Bixal’s clients.
- Work collaboratively with senior management to bring new and innovative methodologies to Bixal's user experience practice.
- Implement, maintain, and expand upon project plans with emphasis on high degree of quality in conjunction product managers and development managers.
- Mentor and develop team members in alignment with Bixal’s brand and overall direction
- Keep abreast of industry trends and tools and communicate findings out to the team/Bixal.
- Help to build a culture of continuous improvement across all levels of design — strategic, structural, and surface — where designers (including yourself) feel challenged with meaningful work and see a clear path for growth.
- Perform other duties as required
Qualifications and Skills:
- 3-7 years’ experience in UX, product design role or commensurate work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate educational experience.
- Must have a portfolio of experience that demonstrates previous work with the creation, implementation, and continuous improvement of at least one design system.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident for 3+ years.
- Must be able to obtain Public Trust clearance.
- Agile mindset. You know about agile methodology and can apply an agile mindset to all aspects of your work.
- Communication. You can communicate effectively across organizational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the context.
- Team collaboration. You can contribute to the work of the organization, building successful teams through understanding team styles and influencing as well as motivating team members.
- Evidence- and context-based design. You can visualize, articulate and solve complex problems and concepts, and make disciplined decisions based on available information and research evidence.
- Working within constraints. You understand and can work within given constraints (including but not limited to technology and policy, and regulatory, financial and legal constraints).
- Leadership and guidance. You can interpret vision to lead on decisions. You can understand and resolve technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk. You can solve issues and unblock problems.
- Prototyping. You can apply technical knowledge and experience to create or design workable prototypes. You can prototype a code, but you don’t need to make production-ready code.
- Strategic thinking. You can take an overall perspective on business issues, events, activities and discuss their wider implications and long-term impact.
- Human-centered. You understand users and can identify who they are and what their needs are, based on evidence.
- Inclusive design mindset. You embrace accessibility requirements as a set of design constraints that help you create better products and services for all users.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
Work from home flexibility
401K with matching incentive
Company provided short-term disability
Company provided life insurance
Professional development opportunities
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.