Senior Product Designer
Music for everyone, no credit card needed. It’s a promise our platform was built on. And here in the Free team, we’re still building on it. We work on a massive scale, bringing people from all kinds of disciplines and all parts of the business together to deliver an amazing freemium experience to more than 129 million users worldwide. Want to help shape the future of free? Here’s how.
Music and podcasts for everyone, no credit card required. It’s a promise our platform was built on, and here on the Free team, we’re still building on it. We work at massive scale, bringing people from all kinds of disciplines and all corners of the business together to deliver an amazing freemium experience to more than 129 million users worldwide. Want to help shape the future of free? Here’s how.
We’re searching for a Senior Product Designer to join one of our New York-based Free Design teams.
Your focus will be on Podcast Monetization, diving deep to understand the medium’s unique strengths in order to build exceptional products that serve the needs of advertisers, creators and listeners alike. Podcasting is a critical frontier for Spotify, one that provides creators with a powerful means of sustaining their craft by facilitating conversations through the power of audio. From the perspective of our listeners, you’ll help us challenge the current boundaries of the medium, looking closely at how marketing and messaging can affect and further the user experience. For creators and advertisers, you’ll investigate how we can help unite these parties, finding mutual fit across beliefs, values and audiences while streamlining the production process and removing bottlenecks. How does the UX, underlying logic, systems, and tooling all fit together? You’ll build strategies, prototypes and tools that will bring this vision to life, then work with cross-functional partners across the company to execute against it.
We are excited to continue to both improve our existing offering and come up with what’s next. Our goal is connecting the listeners to the content they love through our promotional touchpoints, while expanding our footprint in the digital audio marketplace, creating best-in-class tools, products and features. We seek to craft innovative new promotional experiences for brands and artists alike that connects listeners to the content they love. We want someone who sees this intersection of promotion and content as an exciting problem space. How can advertising, promotion, marketing and messaging enable great free listening experiences through a thoughtful balance of what’s good for business with the need to empower and protect our listeners? Together, we’ll look holistically at how we continue bringing people the content they want while making our Spotify experience smarter, contextually appropriate, and relevant.
What you’ll do
- You’ll lead projects across the entire product lifecycle. You’ll work with designers, researchers, product managers and engineers to deliver compelling UX solutions. You understand the importance of seizing a seat at the cross-functional table.
- Together with your cross-functional partners, you’ll set the vision for the user experience and create the space for others to collaborate. You’ll help foster a shared understanding of the problem space by facilitating cross-functional workshops and group ideation sessions.
- Consider the two-sided nature of the problem space. You’ll play in audio-forward, multimodal spaces, introducing new ways for listeners to engage with ads and promoted content. You’ll explore how these experiences span different user types, situations and devices. You’ll work to define the systems and tooling that power these experiences.
- You’ll apply big-picture thinking to break down open-ended opportunities into actionable next steps. You will realize these ideas with the appropriate level of detail and fidelity at every phase, while tailoring those outputs for a variety of stakeholders.
- Be autonomous. You’ll provide teams with the methods, process and solutions needed to execute strategy. You’ll drive progress through obstacles by building consensus and making decisions - taking responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- Your head is in the clouds while your feet are on the ground. You love thinking big, and at the same time, you know when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail.
- You’ll help us push the envelope and keep the best interests of all of our users (listeners, artists, marketers and advertisers) at heart. The ad-tech domain is fast-paced, prone to dark UX patterns (which we want to avoid), and not necessarily intuitive. We are hoping to challenge those antiquated values, and an existing understanding and ability to evangelize is valuable for the role.
Who you are
- You have 7+ years experience delivering great design as a UX designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar.
- You are passionate about design systems and well-versed in data-informed product design and development.
- You have experience working with engineers and product managers to make great things as a team.
- You enjoy all stages of app design, from sketching concepts to polishing interfaces.
- You have a people-focused design mentality. You enjoy solving problems, big and small, glamorous and not, for all kinds of users.
- You are constantly looking to hone your executions through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test.
- You care about the impact of your work. You have experience tracking usage of the things you build, and using the data collected to verify its effectiveness.
- You’re an expert in your craft, but you recognize the importance of setting aside the time and space to learn and grow.
- You’re a fantastic team player, communicator and facilitator. You have the communication skills and people-focused design mentality to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts.
- You are someone who has an appreciation for the role that advertising, messaging & promotion can play in a service such as Spotify, and you can share this passion to motivate the team and the wider organization. You understand the impact we can have in this space and recognize the opportunity to inject the perspective of our users into a space that’s typically brushed them aside.
- You have an online portfolio, or PDF that you can share with us.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting relevant entries in your portfolio.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It's in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 286 million users.