OVO Internal Vacancies
Role: UX Designer - PACE
Location: Bristol, UK
Closing Date: 28th May 2020
The OVO Group’s mission is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach zero, we need everyone to come together. Not as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal.
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
You'll be working in Orion. Orion is part of the OVO Group. Find out more here.
Orion Energy Platform enables energy suppliers to better serve their customers while supporting solutions for the world’s evolving energy needs.
Our flexible software platform takes care of energy consumption end to end so retailers can focus on their differentiators. We reduce cost to serve by providing automated exception handling and integrated tooling, offer real-time data, improving transparency and accuracy and supporting the next generation of energy propositions, and give a digital customer experience that’s clear and intuitive to drive down contact and improve satisfaction.
Energy billing can be confusing, and we want to make it easier for users to understand and manage their costs. We need to ensure that billing information is presented clearly, is fully compliant and enables users to feel in charge of their energy. You’ll join a small team uncovering and visualising user journeys and touchpoints, in particular looking at how people interact with energy bills and statements.
What will I be doing?
We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll work collaboratively with a product manager to write user stories, frame and identify user problems through data analysis and exploratory research. You’re comfortable working side-by-side with software engineers, as well as joining up with other UX’ers and product people. You’ll carry out research to understand different user groups, create personas and consider information architecture in your design decisions.
- design and build tools which help our customers understand and take charge of their energy — one of the biggest & most rewarding challenges in our industry
- identify key problems in our user journeys and propose how to address them
- help your team validate or dismiss the assumptions they’ve had to make so far
- show your team how a rapid and collaborative design process helps focus their efforts
- help your product team continuously prioritise work around user feedback
You’ll define, shape, and deliver live solutions for our customers. And you’ll strive to ensure the user experience is consistent, human-centred, and delivers a best-in-industry service.
Is this the job for me?
First three months
- immerse yourself in the energy industry and our market landscape – be curious!
- meet our customers, and understand the programme of work
- undertake market/competitor research and review the available data
- collaborate with other UX’ers on the programme of work
- get to know your new team, and connect with our wider research and design community
Within six months
- develop personas or archetypes around different user groups and financial situations
- create prototypes and design experiments to test concepts
- introduce ways for your team to regularly interact with customers and get fast feedback
- pair with developers on design and reviews to ensure feasible and accessible solutions
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research, design, and testing
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace agile and iteration, and celebrate learning and change
When you join Kaluza, you’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers and designers. UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, getting people excited about service design, UX critiques, improving our accessibility, and putting participants first in our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO exists to power human progress with clean and affordable energy for all. We’re here to challenge the status quo: to do what’s right, find a better way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our forward-thinking future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
Diverse teams are the best teams
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.