Senior Product Designer
Forward Partners is a venture fund meets startup studio - investing capital, craft and capability from day zero through Series A. Our in-house team of startup specialists - from engineers to designers, marketers to recruiters - are all on hand to help move founders forward.
The proximity of our investors and studio team means we understand the macro to the micro unlike any other investor. This radically elevates the quality of both our advisory and execution - and in turn the chances of success for the companies we support.
We’ve been lucky enough to partner with so many exceptional companies - including Appear Here, Patch Plants, Lexoo, Gravity Sketch and Fy!.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Product Designer - with skills across UX, interaction design, prototyping and strong visual design skills.. You will be working alongside both our in-house team - including product managers, engineers and growth marketers - as well as in partnership with the early stage portfolio companies that we support.
The best person for this role will:
- Love an environment of variety, and be comfortable with the context switching that can bring.
- Have a solid intuition about when to be lean versus when to take a bit more time to get things right.
- Know the best design tools like Figma and Sketch inside out, and regularly look to bring in new tools and processes that make us better.
- Be happy running brainstorming workshops and design sprints to move us from research to product ideas collaboratively.
- Know when and how to use the right tool for the right problem - whether validating a pre-seed value proposition, or helping a later stage company fuel growth through their product.
- Be comfortable working with product managers at our more mature companies to dig into product analytics to draw insights and identify opportunities.
- Want to be an evangelist for your craft and the work we do at Forward Partners.
- Be excited to cultivate relationships across our portfolio - with founders and execs, through to peer designers and product managers - and will be enthused at the opportunity to get to know these people and their companies well.
- Respectfully decline the status quo and push both startup teams and colleague outside their comfort zone.
- Care as much about the team as the work. You will want to help inspire an inclusive environment for the team, where the best ideas can come from anyone.
- At least 5 years of experience in a product design role ideally in agency and startup environments.
- Demonstrable and substantial knowledge of the fundamentals of product and interaction design - alongside a solid understanding of design, usability and accessibility for the web and mobile.
- Ideally some experience in user research, but at a minimum you should be interested in speaking to customers.
- An ability to distinguish between good work and great work - and what’s right for a company dependent on their stage and needs.
- Exceptional attention to detail, with an unhealthy obsession with checking every plate before it leaves the kitchen.
- The ability to rapidly produce and test multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Great digital design skills across mobile and responsive web.
- A good understanding of micro-ux and how it helps with ease of use and creating delightful experiences
- Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities - regardless of whether talking one on one with a founder or 300+ people at a conference - you know how to tell a story.
- Strong ability to prioritise work across engagements based on short and long-term needs - with the ability to flex with the volatile nature of startups day to day.
- Private medical insurance for you and your family
- Private pension scheme
- Carried interest scheme - giving you your own stake in the Forward Partners fund
- A healthy learning & development budget, including £500 each year to spend on Sunlight.is
- Regular fully comped team socials (partners invited too!)
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- 25 days holiday a year + additional holidays you earn over time + you can buy back days.
- Enhanced Parental Leave Policy