Senior Product Designer
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds -- from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences -- so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach our audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. To deliver our mission, we are designing systems that make knowledge sharing rewarding and discovery easy, while scaling to support the participation of the entire planet. We're building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy.
Our designers leverage what they learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. Product design plays a significant role in product strategy and direction - our VP of Design reports directly to our CEO. Working on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems, design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure. We pursue candor, holism, and awareness in our work.
About the Role:
Quora is the perfect place for businesses or marketers to reach new customers because are are positioned at a moment of intent. We’re seeking a designer who is as excited to engage with our business strategy and goals as building the product to achieve those goals. In this role you will collaborate closely with sales, marketing, customers, engineers, data scientists, and product managers. Designers at Quora code, this means you build and test what you design with technical competence and rigor.
Common problems you’ll face as a product designer on this team include deciding which customers to focus on or weighing the ROI to build a customer requested feature vs. how to better anticipate their needs vs. building something to get more customers.
Remote work in an option for this role.
- Identify high-impact opportunities, design experience in pursuit of goals, and explain the rationale for your decisions.
- Understand the highly technical and data driven environment of performance advertising, generating product insights that contribute to business strategy.
- Streamline and manage UI complexity (complexity reduction is not always the solution), resulting in polished UI design, clear information hierarchy, a holistic feature set.
- Collaborate with research and business marketing experts to understand the creative needs of advertisers large and small, designing scalable solutions with empathy for customer needs (advertisers large and small, content marketers through business accounts)
- Drive work autonomously, demonstrate pragmatism and agility.
- Work quickly and effectively on multiple projects. Ship new features, bug fixes, and small improvements multiple times a week.
- 5+ years experience designing and having had shipped complex products in clear, effective interactions that accomplished business goals.
- Demonstrated thought leadership and high level thinking about a complex, social product, and adept at clearly explaining reasons for new features and changes. Portfolio demonstrating relevant design capabilities.
- Experience autonomously building clear, effective interactions to accomplish product or business goals
- Ability to build what you design (technical competence in these front-end technologies: HTML, CSS, JS, and React). (Designers at Quora code).
- Proven ability to collaborate and empathize with, as well as challenge, business marketing, sales, designers, engineers, and data scientists.
- Demonstrated visual design skill, especially in the construction of visual hierarchies, with attention to detail, typography, spacing, and color.
- Comfort with A/B testing, data analysis frameworks
- Interest or experience in designing for ads, mobile, or user growth.
- Experience with effective A/B testing.
- Desire to mentor junior designers.
- Experience writing and documenting proposals.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.