We want to create a world served by exceptional professionals, and we do that by helping academic institutions find holistically stronger applicants by looking beyond metrics of “book smart”. Think of us like an “SAT” that evaluates who you are instead of what you know. Our main assessment, the CASPer test, is used widely for high stakes admissions to Healthcare Training, Teachers Education, and other academic programs in Canada, the US, and as far away as Australia. As an example, in 2019 we will assess well over 100,000 applicants including 80% of all US and Canadian Medical School applicants.
You are a deep-thinking, broadly curious designer who is eager to create products that solve real problems in the academic admission process. You are outcome-oriented and do not define success based on how you’ve designed the product but on the overall success of the product. You believe in our mission, and you are passionate about making a positive impact on society through the adoption of our product. You want to be part of an amazing, caring team, and make an impact on building a high growth but sustainable business.
As a Product Designer, you will design and prototype features and new products while working alongside our Product Managers, Software Developers, as well as internal and external stakeholders. This is a full-time role reporting to the Director of Product.
What Would You Be Doing?
- Design product features and new products that map directly to business outcomes and goals while actively participating in the product development process
- Validate hypotheses by prototyping at a range of fidelities to test product concepts - obtain feedback early on and throughout the entire design process
- Facilitate user testing, organize results, and translate these insights into actionable changes to the product
- Develop a solid knowledge of our customers, business, product, marketing and brand strategy in order to have a holistic understanding of our users’ experience, being deeply curious and asking questions along the way to challenge this knowledge
- Continuous learning and knowledge of the UX, UI design best practices and behavioural patterns
- Measure the success of all design, and own these metrics in order to inform decision making
In 12 Months:
- You have immersed yourself in all things Altus, learned our business, and can formulate a data-driven opinion regarding the direction of our product design based on your collaboration across all teams within the company as well as external customers and stakeholders.
- You are a trusted and respected member of our team and external partners view you as curious, caring, and driven to solve complex problems with accessible product design that positively affects millions of people.
- You have showcased your entrepreneurial spirit by rolling up your sleeves to get the job done. You are contributing to reducing the product backlog and development velocity with well thought out design stories/mock-ups and provide any clarification around design during the development process.
- You are known to have a bias towards action and are constantly pushing us to do better and move faster. You have developed a strong understanding of the technical side of the product, cost, and time constraints to inform feasible design decisions.
- You are trusted as an advocate for our customers and products as you gather customer, business, domain, industry, and market knowledge to update and share the product design goals with the Altus team.
- You are a source of a million new ideas around strategies for product design, speaking to your work and presenting it in an impactful way to ensure clarity and buy-in from all stakeholders involved, internal and external.
What Will Help You In Your Role:
- Ideally a Bachelors or Masters degree, but we know not everyone gains their skills in the traditional academic way
- 3+ years of solid experience in digital product design and/or design research, working within an agile team, with the ability to show us the entire design process, not just the end result
- Be comfortable collaborating across all areas and teams within the company as well as external stakeholders
- Ability to think deeply about how your work will fit into our customers’ lives and the education domain
- Great communication skills and the ability to explain ideas clearly to all audience types
- Solid project management skills, ability to organize design tasks and deliverables in accordance with project deadlines, and sprint planning/development
- A solid understanding and passion for the design process and best practices
- Front-end development skills would be an asset
Other Traits of Our Ideal Candidate:
- Able to live the values of caring, creative problem solving, reliability, and drive to help us attain our goal of creating a world full of exceptional professionals
- Has loosely held strong opinions - knows why they want what they want, but is also abundantly humble, can be wrong, and wants to seek out the best solution, no matter the source
- Looking for a long-term relationship at a growing company
- Interested in being part of an amazing, caring team, and wants to build a sustainable, high growth business
- Domain experience in higher education or admissions would be a bonus
Who We Are:
We’re a quirky, vibrant, and diverse group of 60+ working collaboratively to tackle some tough problems (like how to evaluate empathy in someone who wants to train to become a doctor), and some less tough ones (like how to answer that bonus question on Trivia Night).
Our core values are caring, curious, and driven, and we embody these values in everything that we do. We genuinely care about the well-being of others, we possess an innate desire to continuously learn, and every day we strive to be better than the professional we were the day before.
You can get to know some of us on our People of Altus blog!
Who Would Fit In:
People who do well here are caring, humble, prefer change over the status-quo, are comfortable with “fuzzy” (vs well defined) tasks, and are ok with a daily helping of problem-solving. We all have a healthy appetite for learning and love to share our knowledge with our co-workers. We want people who put “we before me”.
Please note that during this time of COVID-19 precautions, our team has transitioned to remote work-from-home. Though we expect this to be the case for the next 9-12 months, we are consistently and transparently adapting as we receive more information from the experts.
- Bi-weekly virtual team lunches: This (typically in-office) ritual is being supported by UberEats coupons provided by Altus so that you have something to eat at home while we connect over video calls
- $3,000 annual personal and professional development budget
- Generous self-directed vacation policy
- Comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance coverage
- RRSP matching program
- Extended parental leave coverage
- Team building and social events
The Hiring Process
Our hiring process optimizes for a positive candidate experience. The general hiring process looks like the following:
- Pre-screen: When you submit your application, it is sent directly to the People & Culture Manager who will screen the application.
- First phone call: If selected, our People & Culture Manager will schedule a time for the first phone screen, which typically lasts about 30 minutes. Kari will ask you some general interview questions such as why you are interested in this role and then may ask for you to elaborate on some parts of your application.
- Remote Hiring Manager Interview: Once you pass the first phone screen, Kari will schedule you some time (about an hour) to chat with our Director of Product, Alecia. You two will discuss your experience and how that can best translate into this role at Altus.
- Remote team interview: If that goes well, we will schedule a remote team interview, where you will virtually meet with 4-6 members of our team, to assess your skills, values fit, and cultural add. You may also be asked to complete a short task that closely mirrors some aspects of the role. The remote interview takes about 3 hours.
- Reference Checks: We'll ask for 2-3 professional references - a few folks that wouldn't mind chatting with our People & Culture Manager about your time working together.
- Final Decision: Once all the members have met and shared their thoughts, the hiring manager will consolidate this information and let you know of their decision. We may need to ask you a few more questions if there were any areas that needed a bit more expansion.
- Offer: If you are our perfect match, and we're yours, an official offer will be made!
Altus is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors. Special accommodations for candidates with disabilities can be made during the interview process if requested.