Head of Digital Product Design
Bloom and Wild
Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Digital Product Design at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 100 people. Our Digital Product Design team sits within our tech and product organisation and is responsible for designing delightful digital experiences that our customers love. The team works closely with product managers and engineers within a squad model and collaborates closely with our brand & design team.
This is a new leadership role as we invest in levelling up and scaling our digital product design capabilities. We’re looking for a player-coach who is comfortable with leading key strategic projects as an individual contributor whilst primarily developing, coaching and scaling our team (currently 3 people with plans to grow) and processes.
The areas of focus for the digital product design team will include:
- Optimising our digital experiences to create a more consistent, differentiated and delightful experience across website and apps
- Working with our Brand & Design team to elevate and refine our brand experience across our digital platforms
- Designing new product and services to deepen customer loyalty and engagement, driving awareness of them and ensuring they effectively complement our core business
- Building a system to support our international markets as they grow and we expand our offer to create a global flower brand
The role and ways of working
- Reporting to our VP, Product & Retention you will be the owner of the digital user experience and design across our website, apps (iOS and android) and internal tools
- You’ll lead the delivery of team projects as both an individual contributor but also as a coach/mentor/manager to our team of 3-4 product designers and UX researchers
- You’ll lead the organisation design and hiring within the digital product design team and build out career development pathways within your team
- You’ll own the development of our product design vision, design principles and style guides across all digital touch points
- You’ll build out effective product design processes that ensures we consistently deliver to a high standard whilst executing at a rapid pace
- You have experience taking a lean approach to product development and you’ll be comfortable taking a hypothesis driven, test & learn approach to understand customer behaviour and deliver measurable results
- You have strong customer empathy and are able to combine qualitative and quantitative evidence to deepen your understanding of customers and design to meet their needs
- The role will suit someone who is looking for a career opportunity in a fast-paced, start-up environment and is looking to make an immediate impact.
- You'll bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight.
- Experience building, managing and scaling a digital product design team (including product designers, UX / UI designers and UX researchers)
- Experience working in a customer facing growth brand (ideally eCommerce)
- Experience working with product & tech teams in an fast moving environment
- Passionate about user-centred design and solving problems with great design
- A strong portfolio of beautifully designed experiences that have driven measurable results
- Collaborative approach to finding, developing and executing the best idea
- Strong and inspiring communicator who is able to build and sell a compelling vision
We really care about creating a diverse team. So we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our office, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Currently our full team is working from home and has adapted very well to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Regular virtual yoga classes with more virtual exercise variety to come!
- Celebrating birthdays with letterbox cake
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolleys’ and updates from our founder
- Remote lunch and learns
- Supporting our wellbeing through online support sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of communicating including wellbeing channels
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
When we’re in the office
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
We apply our five key values (delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride) in our day to day activities and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Before you start you’ll be able to choose whatever laptop you need, a widescreen monitor to plug into and whatever other tools you need.
See more on what it's like to work at Bloom & Wild here.
Our recruitment process
The interview process consists of a thirty minute phone call with Joe, our VP of Product and Retention. Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 then this will be followed by a block of remote interviews with our user experience team and brand team. As part of your application process we expect you to provide a portfolio to reflect your previous work and experience.
We really care about creating a diverse team. So we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our office, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.