User Interviews helps teams discover and embrace user insights by streamlining the user research process. We believe this is what allows companies and products to succeed. We know, because our first company flopped—read our origin story.
You’ll be joining a team that cares deeply about talking to our users, creating great experiences for them, and incorporating their feedback into everything we do. But we have a lot of room to grow and improve when it comes to product design. That is where you come in!
Plus, it is a chance to design and build a product used by your peers at world class companies. There is a fun-meta-geekiness to the whole thing that never gets old.
About the role
We’re a rapidly growing startup that will probably ask you to help with a little bit of everything from time to time. You can expect to be involved in the full life cycle of ideas you work on.
We’re always iterating on our processes but here are some of the core responsibilities you can expect:
• Help drive discovery work as we explore upcoming ideas – talking to users, reviewing existing data, consulting internal stakeholders, etc.
• Work closely with your peers (PMs and Devs) to create solutions that balance user needs and business goals.
• Help maintain and contribute to our design system.
• Driving more consistency in our design patterns and helping deprecate old legacy components.
• QA and review features before they go live to ensure the experience is working as you expect and designed.
This is just a start! We’ll expect you to be an active participant in defining the exact parameters of the role based on your strengths and interests.
The baseline is someone who is smart, self-motivated, and an awesome teammate. But here are some specific traits that we think will allow someone to thrive in this role:
• You hold yourself and your work to a high standard but share rough drafts early and often for feedback.
• You’re passionate about defending your opinions but enjoy having them challenged by the team to help you consider new perspectives.
• You incorporate user feedback into all aspects of your work and use it to drive your thinking but supplement it with your own ideas as well.
• You’re pragmatic – you embrace constraints and view them as a creative catalyst but also know when to push back and challenge them.
• You’re naturally curious and always learning something new, picking up new hobbies, or toying with new ideas.
Skills & experience
• 1- 3 years in a UX or Product Design role. Specific titles don’t matter – we mostly care that you’ve spent a chunk of time designing and building modern, responsive web apps.
• Very adept with Sketch, Figma, or XD. We use Figma for high fidelity designs and prototypes.
• Proficient understanding of HTML / CSS. Don’t worry, we’re not looking for a front-end dev! But we do want someone who can converse knowledgeably with developers and account for implementation complexity in their designs.
Nice to haves – experience facilitating user research, enough familiarity with git to make basic pull requests, comfortable writing copy for your designs, knowledgeable about web accessibility standards, capable of doing visual design work.
We’re a fully remote team (even in the before times). We are proactive about staying close to one another despite not sharing the same physical space. Remote culture is real and we care about it – a lot.
We care a lot about feedback. From our users, of course. But also from each other. We hold company wide retros to make sure we’re always improving and everyone has a place to voice their feedback.
We’re a little weird? We’re fun? We’re empathetic? Don’t worry about it too much, there will be plenty of time to get to know us as we get to know you.
- Competitive salary – 80k to 100k annually
- An equity stake in the company
- 100% premium-covered healthcare + dental + vision coverage for you
- PTO, holidays, and floating holidays
- Flexible, paid parental leave
- Flexibility in when / where / how you work
- 1 or 2 company retreats per year (you know, when we are allowed to travel and be in large groups again...)
- Equipment and office setup budget