Who we are:
Bixal is a mission-driven, woman-owned small business determined to improve people's lives through human-centered strategies and transformative technologies, with a firm belief that everyone has the right to an effective government.
We deliver on this belief by partnering with leading Federal agencies to design, develop, and deliver powerful customer experiences through holistic digital product solutions and strategic communications initiatives––bringing a high standard and unique creative energy to our clients––and our wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible.
Bixal unites different people with different perspectives from all over the world! We provide our team with an open and empowered environment where collaboration thrives and solutions flourish.
In order to protect our employees and help stem the spread of COVID-19, Bixal team members are currently working entirely in a remote capacity. This will be our policy until we believe our employees can safely return to an office environment. However, you will need to undergo a Public Trust Security clearance which will require you to get fingerprinting done and pick up your security card in person.
You must be based in the greater Baltimore area. After the threat of COVID has subsided, this position will require an onsite presence several days per week with the opportunity to work from home.
What will you do?
We are looking for a talented, creative and experienced UI Designer to work with a fast-paced product team. You will work integrally with a lead UX researcher to capitalize on key research insights. You will design, prototype and work closely with the development team to create data products to drive critical decision- and policy-making processes. The ideal candidate should have an eye for clean and artful design, possess superior UI skills, have a passion for data and data visualization and be able to translate high-level requirements and structural design into interaction flows and artifacts–transforming them into beautiful, intuitive, functional and on-brand data narratives with clear calls to action. The UI Designer reports to the Creative Director and will work integrally and collaboratively on a team with a Lead User Experience Researcher, Content Analyst, Data Scientist, Developers and Project Managers.
- Translating wireframes into simple, easy-to-use User Interfaces.
- Designing elegant visual designs through a sophisticated sense of color, typography and layout.
- Working with the data scientist to create clear and intuitive data visualizations.
- Ensuring consistency of brand and creative across digital customer touch points.
- Working with developers to ensure proper implementation within a web development environment and ensure consistency and integrity of the creative vision.
- Providing design support to other team members when needed to create product graphics, logos, identity design or other similar offline graphics in support of communications efforts.
- Partner with Design Leadership to resolve issues and maintain quality of deliverables.
- Work with Design Leadership and Project Management to identify scope and timelines for assigned projects as necessary.
- Assist with user research, interviews, surveys and usability studies when needed.
- Perform other duties as required.
What will you need?
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of related design experience, preferably from an agency
- Must be US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Ability to undergo and pass a public trust clearance
- A strong portfolio of design work, showing solutions to business problems through effective design
- Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate data narratives and design clear data visualizations
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
- Knowledge of the Web Design process, front end development and UX/UI skills
- Working knowledge of Drupal and HTML skills are a plus
- Experience with data visualization platform like Tableau or similar.
- Ability to perform under minimal supervision
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability
- Good people skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective presentation skills and experience presenting to senior level management and stakeholders
Nice to Haves
- Experience working with component libraries and/or design systems – either serving on a design system team focusing on evolving and growing the design system through a rigorous and systemic approach to designing out elements and components, or working with an existing design system to implement digital products.
- Experience in the Health or Health policy field.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
Work from home flexibility
401K with matching incentive
Company provided short-term disability
Company provided life insurance
Professional development opportunities
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.