Director of Product Design
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We’re a big-thinking, design-focused, and purpose-driven company looking for a strategic design leader for our product design team. This product design leader drives the creative process, continually raises the bar, and finds the right solution for the right user needs. They will work cross-functionally with product, research, and engineering leaders to ensure their teams create a single, holistic, end-to-end experience for our customers.
This person will also need to be an experienced, strategic, supportive people manager to oversee and mentor our design managers, product designers and UX writers, ensuring they have the guidance they need to do extraordinary work and create conditions where expressive and impactful design can thrive.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Build, manage, lead, and develop a world class team of product designers, managers, and UX writers
- Develop an overarching product design vision & strategy to ensure teams are aligned and solving the right problems in a way that provides the most value for the company with current product mix and future goals
- Foster a transparent and collaborative working environment, communicating critical information to stakeholders clearly and effectively
- Raise the bar on design quality (never satisfied with status quo)
- Lead through partnership (not a service-model or agency organization), driving clarity in definition of design impact among consumer success across all major initiatives
- Own and develop the frameworks used by the product design team to align on consumer problems and product vision, while scaling design efforts across multiple teams
- Partner with researchers, product managers and product analysts to leverage data for design decisions
- Use quantitative and qualitative data to understand, measure, and communicate the business value of UX design and to drive design decisions
- Leverage key functions to measure the health of our overall customer experience to influence necessary changes, both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Develop a deep understanding of the insurance industry including internal and external forces that will continually shape our business
- Effectively communicate strategic decisions both up and down
- Manage design execution and its partnership with product management, engineering, research and data
- Engage in the Design community at large with unique ideas about design thinking, creative process, problem solving, design leadership, or similar
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years in UX design management; 10+ in strategic design
- Experience building, developing, and scaling a product design team
- Expert in creating cohesive, omnichannel experiences, including native applications
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Insurance industry-specific knowledge, as well as deep familiarity with emerging/relevant digital technology and social/media channels
- Experience in game theory and the art of persuasive design
- Experience communicating design ethics
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $150/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**