Senior Director of UX
As a Sr. Director of UX design at The RealReal, you are a passionate leader of the user experience design team, creating amazing customer experiences across all aspects of the company--for our consignors, our buyers and our internal employees. You establish and lead the execution of a UX design strategy based on a deep knowledge of our business, our creative strategy, and technical expertise. You believe in the power of great UX design, and evangelizing its impact across the company, while partnering across both technical and business functions. You are a champion of using customer input to make key decisions, leveraging qualitative testing, and research to solve problems.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Establish and communicate effective ux design processes through a strong understanding of user-centered design techniques coupled with practical experience in how a design team should collaborate cross-functionally for maximum effectiveness delivering solutions
- Recruit and develop extraordinary talent, by coaching, managing and mentoring a team of designers
- Lead strong teams through rapidly evolving, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams
- Apply and further develop your experience in developing new approaches to design based on industry best practices, including agile and lean product development methodologies
- Drive multi-channel user experience strategy and innovation with successful delivery of product roadmaps
- Champion design-thinking and UX best practices across the organization — advocate a user-centered approach toward product design and processes with compelling storytelling and demos
- Gain strategic alignment within and across the organization
- Manage and approve prototypes, specification documentation and style guides
- Provide overall direction for design
- Rapidly ideate and validate designs through sketches, prototypes, and testing
- Demonstrate up-to-date expertise in digital trends and competitor innovations and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of the customer experience
What You Bring To The Role
- An outstanding portfolio of previous design work demonstrating depth of knowledge in user experience, interaction, visual/user interface design, design thinking and team collaboration, including expertise with cross-platform, cross-device, and cross-persona design problems — a robust track record of successfully shipping products to market and focus on your craft should shine through
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- 10+ years of experience in design
- 5+ years experience developing user experience solutions with agile methodology
- 5+ years design experience for eCommerce
- 3+ years of leadership experiences
- Experience creating and managing UX/design language style libraries for 5+ years
- Degree in Graphic Design — higher degree a plus
- Proficient knowledge of Sketch, Zeplin, Figma and/or other preferred design software
- Fluent in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Generalist UX skills set preferred proficiencies in visual, UI, and interaction design
- Experience creating and managing UX pattern style libraries for 5+ years
- Ability to communicate information concisely and effectively as needed to provide direction and to establish best practices within the team
- Demonstrated use of a variety of user research methods, and experience design on appropriate methodology, highly preferred
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, consigned luxury goods. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have 150+ in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by hundreds of brands, from Gucci to Cartier, supporting the circular economy. We make consigning effortless with free in-home pickup, drop-off service and direct shipping for individual consignors and estates. At our stores in LA, NYC and San Francisco, customers can shop, consign, and meet with our experts. At our 10 Luxury Consignment Offices, four of which are in our retail stores, our expert staff provides free valuations. Founded in 2011 and listed publicly in 2019 (Nasdaq: REAL), we’re growing fast and fundamentally changing the way people buy and sell luxury — a multi-billion dollar industry. Build your career with us and enjoy 401K matching, health, dental and vision insurance, commuter flex spending, healthcare flex spending, generous PTO, a mother’s room, and flexible work hours!
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.