Senior Product Designer
Faculty is an artificial intelligence company based in London. We’ve worked on some of society’s and business’s most exciting challenges – from building counter-terrorism software to protecting democracy from AI, we’re at the forefront of harnessing the power of AI.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer, with a balanced mix of UX and UI skills, to create bespoke AI applications for our customers, enabling them to make use of this powerful technology, safely.
As a rapidly growing organisation, roles are dynamic and subject to change. Your role will evolve alongside business needs as well as your own interests and talents, but you can expect your key responsibilities to include:
- Designing bespoke AI applications that tackle a specific customer problem, across a wide range of sectors, from healthcare to public sector and consumer businesses. These solutions will include dashboards, feature-rich digital products, and data visualisations that bring to life the output of the machine learning algorithms which underpin them and that help users make better, more informed decisions.
- Leading the design process, in collaboration with delivery teams, which include data scientists, engineers, and commercial managers.
- Contributing ideas and wireframes to customer pitches and demos, rapidly prototyping the vision for a proposed solution.
- Conducting user research with customers to understand their workflows, goals, and pain points; synthesising findings and communicating insights to the delivery team, in order to inform and refine the scope of the solution.
- Communicating your design thinking through user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and visual designs (with varying levels of design fidelity), presenting alternatives and justifying design decisions where necessary, both to customers and to delivery teams.
You will be expected to:
- Work autonomously across the end-to-end design spectrum from carrying out user interviews, to running discovery and ideation workshops, through to prototyping and implementation.
- Be a team player within the design guild at Faculty, actively participating in our team activities and design critiques
- Contribute to the design vision for Faculty; encourage and ensure world-class design execution by helping set standards and best practices
- Create high quality visuals and interactions, based on a strong understanding of good design principles as well as the Faculty brand
- Contribute to and help grow our design system
At Faculty, your attitude and behaviour are just as important as your technical skills. We look for individuals who can support our values, foster our culture and deliver for our organisation.
In order to qualify for the role, you should have:
- Minimum 4 years experience, ideally working with data or on business intelligence / AI-based applications
- Experience in carrying out the end-to-end design process independently, with examples of activities that span across user research, UX, and UI
- A portfolio showcasing a range of projects, with examples of your design process and artefacts you produced along the way
- Examples of work where you have done discovery and research to understand a complex problem and then synthesized your findings to come up with design solutions
- Knowledge of prototyping and design tools. We use Figma, Zeplin, and Adobe Creative Cloud, but are quick to adopt better tools and processes, so you’ll be more than welcome to contribute all the good practices you’ve used before
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual / presentation communication skills
In addition to the above, we’d love it if you had:
- Background in a quantitative discipline, like Mathematics or Computer Science
- Interest in working on data science / AI applications
- Interest or experience in data visualisation
Attitudes and behaviours
- You love the challenges that come with solving complex, real-world problems
- You understand that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs
- You make well-reasoned design decisions based on an understanding of user needs, business requirements and technological constraints
- You thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment, and have the ability to work independently
- You push yourself to achieve, learn, and improve rather than standing still and aiming for “good enough”
- You roll your sleeves up and muck in to get things done rather than waiting for someone else to fix it
- Flexibility: Unlimited holiday and support for flexible and family friendly working.
- A learning culture. Faculty has a deeply embedded culture of learning, with regular training in business skills and the latest data science techniques, tools, and technologies.
- A high performing and friendly team: The team is highly-educated and high performing, but also a bunch of friendly people who don’t take themselves too seriously.
- Autonomy: The freedom to shape the role in your image, and the support to advance as ambitiously as you wish.
- Compensation: Competitive salary and equity in a rapidly growing, funded start-up.
- Interesting and high impact work: We work with the cutting edge of AI right across the economy, and deliberately blend highly commercial work with high social impact work