Note: Reflexions is working fully remotely for health and safety reasons for the immediate future. All interviews will occur via video conference. This position is available to US-based candidates regardless of their current residence within the US, but consideration will be given to candidates able to work during our EST/EDT business hours and those located within or willing and able to relocate to the Greater New York area.
Reflexions is seeking a thoughtful and energetic UI/UX designer to join our design team. You will support other members of the team as well as take the lead on new, ongoing, and supportive design tasks.
This position requires an ability to create, interpret, and iterate on different types of design documentation, including wireframes, step-by-step userflows, high-fidelity mockups, and prototyping demonstrating user interaction and animation. You will need to be energetically curious about expanding your skillset, emerging trends, platforms, and technologies.
This position requires a strong working knowledge of up-to-date best practices for web and interface design, including component-focused/pattern-based design, responsive and mobile-first principles, and designing for accessibility, and sophisticated web typography and layout.
You will be expected to collaborate closely with other design, development, QA, and customer-facing team members; you can expect a supportive, knowledgeable, and inclusive team to help you succeed.
Reflexions is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
- Create UX design documentation communicating critical flows and interface variations to both internal team members and clients
- Design the look, layout, and interactive features of websites, apps, and interactive interfaces
- Participate in the design and upkeep of components and patterns within libraries
- Iterate designs based on client and internal feedback
- Participate in in-house design critiques of your own and others’ work and monthly check-ins
- Participate as-needed in internal website testing, including constructively reporting UI/UX bugs to ensure high-quality launches
- Meet with clients to present design work
- Play different roles on different projects, and take on additional duties as appropriate
A good candidate must demonstrate:
- 1–3 years of professional experience working in a full-time capacity as a designer. This position is expected to be junior to mid-level.
- An excellent portfolio of design work that must include both visual web design as well as meaningful UX documentation. We will be looking especially for completed work that has progressed through all stages of discovery, design, and development.
- Creative and critical thinking, independence, initiative, and the ability to work with a team
- The ability to work within or and thoughtfully extend existing brand or interactivity guidelines as well as the ability to participate in the design of new visual and interactive systems
- Confidence in all phases of a project, from ideation through creation of production-ready design work
- Proficiency with Sketch, especially symbols, styles, and library files
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working under deadline
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
A great candidate will also be able to demonstrate some (though not necessarily all) of the following qualifications:
- Experience preparing for, participating in, and/or responding to user/usability testing
- Experience with animation, especially web-based, interface-focused animation
- Experience designing to WCAG/ADA accessibility standards and an understanding of basic concepts related to designing for accessibility generally
- Experience designing web-based, mobile, or screen-based interactive applications
- Experience with front-end development tools and concepts, including the basics of web production and various tools of the trade (such as CSS3, JS, HTML5, layout frameworks, LESS/SASS, Git, etc.)
- Experience communicating effectively with developers
A design degree or bootcamp certificate is not a requirement for consideration, but an outstanding portfolio is. We will work with you to develop skills and knowledge in areas you have less experience. Reflexions is looking for a great candidate who wants to push themselves and learn on the job.
In your cover letter, please:
- include a link to your portfolio showing recent work, and
- tell us about something you learned from a recent project, and how that new experience helps make you a great candidate,
- tell us briefly about a skill you’d like to learn and in what way you think it would positively effect your working process.
You can expect a supportive, knowledgeable, and inclusive team to help you succeed. Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverages, FSA, HSA
- Generous paid time off
- Learning and development stipends
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Because of COVID-19, Reflexions is currently 100% work-from-home. If you are accepted for this position, we will supply you with necessary computer hardware/software.