Memrise is an award-winning language learning system with a growing user base of over 50 million. We’re on a mission to enrich people’s minds and worlds through the knowledge of new languages. It’s a big mission, eh? But that’s how we roll.
We're looking for a Junior / Midweight Product Designer to join our team, helping Memrise to become the world's most effective and entertaining langauge learning product by designing bold, playful and empathetic experiences that will delight our users. You will be part of one of our cross-functional Product missions; designing, prototyping and creating in-app experiences and flows that satisfy both user and business needs.
This is an opportunity for a Product Designer who is looking to get their hands dirty in the whole design process, for a product with millions of users that is seeking to genuinely differentiate themselves from a crowded market. On top of that, there's heaps of opportunities to flourish and own the visual side of Product Design within the company. Also, the design team is super fun.
Some other things to know about being a Product Designer at Memrise:
- You'll be responsible for driving how we solve problems
- You'll be the sole designer on a team, and therefore have ownership of the whole design process
- Design, Product and Engineering have an equal say in decisions
- Our design system is in its infancy and you can have an active role in shaping it
You’ll be contributing directly to our mission to make language learning more immersive and to build a learner’s confidence in speaking a new language; and you'll be collaborating closely with our content specialists and video production team, as well as engineering, data and product.
In this Role you'll:
- own the Product Design process for your projects from concepting and research, to providing multiple solutions, to creating and delivering the UI and interaction designs
- iterate and improve on existing features based on user insights, data, and business goals
- support and elevate design quality standards across Memrise by contributing to the design rituals, and actively offering improvements to process and culture
- work in a cross-functional team of designers, engineers and PMs, but also collaborate closely with marketing, content, customer support and data
You might be a good fit if you:
- have a keen eye for effective UI and interaction patterns. You have experience creating delightful interfaces that real people can use
- are comfortable owning the entire design process, from ideation and UX through to UI and interaction design
- can balance tech, business and human needs and then eloquently and persuasively articulate your rationale to others
- are a keen prototyper, and love building both low and high fidelity prototypes to test out your ideas and gather feedback early
- prefer delivery over perfection
- are friendly, humble and approachable. You have the courage and principles to back your designs, whilst also being open to different opinions and contrary evidence.
Can be learnts:
- How to evaluate design patterns and components, and decide what should and what shouldn’t exist within a design system
- How to run and facilitate workshops, and feel equally comfortable explaining your work to senior management as you are to other designers, PMs and developers
- How to build code-based prototypes with tools such as Framer, Swift or HTML/CSS/JS
Within 1 month, you'll:
- ideate, concept and run discovery on a new product feature, working directly with the PM and the engineering lead, and kicking off the project with the team
- have contributed or improved upon at least one component within the Memrise design system
Within 3 months, you'll:
- have identified areas where our design process, tooling or rituals could be levelled up to make us a more cohesive, efficient and awesome team
- have highlighted and championed at least one user insight within your mission, and incorporated this into the Big Theme roadmap
Within 6 months, you'll:
- be seen as the subject matter expert for your area of the product, and the go-to person for questions, knowledge and feedback
- have identified the area of Memrise design that you want to own and have the rest of the design team fully confident in your ownership of that space
Salary: £35,000 - £60,000
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Generous Learning and Development budget for training, conferences, books and L&D leave
- Enhanced Parental Leave
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance with Vitality, and related perks (50% off a Virgin and Nuffield Health Gym memberships)
- Dental Insurance with Unum
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Bi-weekly team lunch with Feastly
- Language classes with in-office and virtual tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: dodgeball, meditation, football, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
What’s it like to work here?
Interesting. Fun. Challenging. Serious. Odd. Silly. It just depends on the day, really. But whatever day it is, we love what we do: helping people all around the world learn more about languages, new cultures and each other. They use our app to broaden their minds and horizons. And that feels pretty good.
You’ll join our London team of open-minded, big-hearted, goal-oriented ‘Memrisians’, made up of linguists, developers, designers, marketers and more, all working together to do great things.
Find out more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRrLOi6hmeA&feature=youtu.be