User Experience Designer
U.Group is an advanced technology and creative design company radically focused on using customer-centric innovation to create new opportunities in the public and private sectors. Working collaboratively out of offices in Arlington, VA, Washington, DC, Portland, OR, and in the heart of the action at client sites—U.Group delivers best-in-class digital services, powerful data platforms, augmented reality solutions, integrated marketing strategies, bundled services, and more. To learn more, visit www.U.Group.
As a User Experience (UX) Designer for U.Group, you will drive research activities, derive insights, generate concepts, communicate those concepts visually, and work with developers and product managers to build and test them. You will work on cross-functional teams of experts in design, product strategy, technical architecture, software engineering and data science to deliver digital products and services for clients. You’ll create customer journey maps and user flows, sitemaps and wireframes, conduct usability testing, and lead client workshops, all of which will require a combination of technical skills and communication skills.
Citizenship Status: US Citizenship required and have resided in the U.S. for three of the past five years.
Location: DC Metro Region
Clearance: Current, or have the ability to obtain, public trust or higher security clearance
Minimum Qualification Requirements
This position is for one of our programs supporting the federal government. As part of the hiring process for programs like this, each candidate’s resume is evaluated against a strict set of requirements defined by the government client. For a candidate to be found “minimally qualified”, their resume must clearly illustrate all the requirements. For more information on preparing a federal resume, check out this GitHub Repo: https://github.com/rooneywp/govcon-hiring-guide/blob/master/resume_prep_guide.md
- Minimum of 3 years' professional or academic experience in user experience design
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and shift focus between projects while maintaining attention to detail
- Effective written, storytelling, verbal and presentation skills with ability to present to all levels within the organization.
- Precision and facility with language; dedicated to finding the best way to articulate ideas
- Demonstrated experience identifying underlying issues and designing innovative solutions to address user needs and create a successful user experience;
- Demonstrated experience using qualitative and quantitative information and data to support designs and measure ongoing performance, considering short and long-term implications of solutions;
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with team members from multiple disciplines and creating deliverables to support communication such as user journeys, wireframes, sitemaps, flowcharts, storyboards, or user stories.
- Demonstrated experience implementing good search engine optimization (SEO) practices, interpreting user research and site analytics, and conducting audits to inform content and IA needs.
- Collaborate on cross-functional teams guiding them towards a strategic vision for large scale, cloud-based applications.
- Participate in planning and conducting thoughtful and ethical user research.
- Use modern interaction design patterns and best practices, understanding that there are exceptions to every rule.
- Generate innovative, high-level product strategies as well as the practical project steps and considerations to get there.
- Support collaborative decision making by telling compelling stories drawn from research that illustrate the pros and cons of various options.
- Deliver whatever’s needed to guide development — this could include wireframes, sitemaps, flowcharts, storyboards, user stories, or user personas.
- Clearly communicate user-centered methods and their value to non-designers.
- Mentor and coach colleagues and partners who are taking on new tasks and roles within design and research.
- Share knowledge, techniques, tools, patterns, and expert advice with colleagues, partners, and clients.
- Apply user-centered perspectives and processes to everything we do, including internal projects.
This position is contingent upon contract award. This means that if you get selected for this position, you’ll first receive a contingent offer letter without a start date that states that the position is yours if the contract is awarded to us. Once the contract is awarded then you’ll receive a final offer letter that includes a start date and all standard information.
Life at U.Group
We encourage our colleagues to lead balanced lives. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flexible spending, 20 days paid time off, and paid holidays. We also offer:
Flex Time and Remote Work Options
Education reimbursement program
Transit/parking subsidy program
Parental Leave Policy
Professional Development Program
401(k) with Company Match
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
U.Group shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.