Product Design Director
Spectrum Mobile Health
We are looking for an exceptional Product Designer to direct the digital design of Spectrum as we grow further.
What is Spectrum?
Spectrum is a successful Canadian clinical decision support platform for infectious diseases. Healthcare organisations use our product to help their clinical professionals make consistently excellent decisions while treating infectious diseases.
Across Canada, Spectrum is used by hundreds of hospitals, servicing over 400,000 healthcare professionals. You will find Spectrum at the World Health Organization, New York City Department of Health and numerous hospitals in the United States, Europe, South East Asia and Africa.
After some notable success facilitating and coordinating clinical response to COVID-19 in hospitals around the world, we have begun the next chapter of the company.
We are building a global clinical collaboration network. This digital network will engage and connect clinicians around the world, to work cooperatively, sharing the very best medical knowledge. The outcome will directly improve patient care.
Our partners in this endeavour range from individual hospitals to provincial healthcare organisations and even the WHO. We are partly funded through the Canadian federal government and have already started work. All involved understand this is a potentially world-changing project.
Where You Fit
This is a complex problem, but we have world-class creative minds on the team. We would love you to join too.
You will be using your experience and applying your skills across our entire platform, working with all functions of the business. You will synthesise goals and visions into cohesive, standout product design, with a best-in-class user experience.
The skills you will use day to day include:
- Synthesising complex business requirements from a product perspective
- Establishing design requirements from internal teams and external partners
- Setting product-level design direction and maintaining consistency and cohesion across all output
- Work with clinical content teams to refine and enhance content design
- Plan, conduct and analyse product and user experience research
- Coaching and mentoring colleagues to elevate in-house design skills
How we work
Our company is headquartered in Vancouver, but we are a remote team, spread across North America. We talk frequently and use collaboration tools you will be familiar with like Slack, Zoom, Github, Basecamp.
Full Idea Lifecycle
You will be involved in each step of the design process, working with the founders and others across all our teams to scope and refine product, system and design concepts. Contributing thoughtfully to conversations in a positive, engaging manner should come easily to you.
We are a small, technically strong team. We communicate closely and enjoy working together. However, as this is a senior role, you will also be expected to be independent and self-sufficient. You will need to be capable of developing strong strategies to solve complex design challenges, communicating those to others, and then implementing your defined strategy.
Our success to date is founded on producing high-quality software that our users love. We value creative, pragmatic strategies that can be acted upon quickly. You will enjoy finding the right balance between shipping your very best work, and meeting sometimes challenging schedules.
- 5+ years experience as a product designer, creative director, UX designer, or similar role
- Exceptional understanding of UI, IxD, UX
- Sophisticated content and information design
- Systematic, detailed approach to the creative process
- Good understanding of mobile & web technologies
- User testing and research experience
- Clinical/Domain expertise is not required. We value people of diverse backgrounds who are passionate about solving complex, user-centered problems. Our team members' backgrounds include education, scientific research and video game design.
The core of our team are based on the West Coast, so you will need good overlap with PST working hours. This is a full-time position. We typically work 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, though your schedule will be flexible and managed by you.
As we do a lot of work with Canadian government organisations, a requirement of this role is that you will need to be resident, with permission to work, in Canada.
Your spoken and written English must be entirely fluent.
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible location
- Competitive salary for a senior position
If this role sounds right for you, please email email@example.com with the following:
- A message explaining why this role attracts you, and why it suits you
- Your Resume/CV
- Confirm your location and availability
After an initial screening process, we'll schedule a video call (15-20m) to see if we might be a good fit for each other. A longer video call (~1h) with some of your prospective teammates will follow. We will then give you a take-home test, 2-4 hours work maximum.