Director of Product Design
The design team at Underbelly is central to the work we produce with our clients. We’re a multidisciplinary team specializing in user experience, interface design, branding, motion, content, and illustration. Our projects range from solving complex problems for some of the most high profile companies in the world to helping small businesses get new products or brands off the ground. We’re passionate, cooperative, thoughtful, respectful, and always push ourselves and our craft. At Underbelly we care about people and making their lives better through design.
Reporting to the Design Director, the Director of Product Design leads a team of 3-6 designers on projects that fall under the disciplines of product, user experience, user interface, and interactive design at Underbelly. They are accountable for the work and level of craft of the product design group, ensuring that the output is high quality and the outcome solves core business and customer problems. They actively collaborate with other design leads and the Design Director to establish vision, processes, and procedures for their design team and the design group as a whole. They lead their team providing frequent feedback, critique, and direction. They plan and organize project kickoffs, resolve challenges, find opportunities to continually improve, and contribute to a healthy design team culture.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Reviews the work of each member of the team, providing feedback, critique, and direction at a regular cadence.
- Mentors the product design team on UX methodology, principles, and processes; including best practices for research and validation.
- Supports the team in developing and growing overall vision and product strategy for product design projects.
- Participates in daily stand-ups, working sessions, and other meetings as needed, alongside each designer on the team.
- Performs weekly one on one’s with each designer, quarterly performance reviews and annual evaluations.
- Works with designers to determine how a client's brand would best be applied to their product's interface and overall experience.
- Works with other design leads and the Design Director to estimate time and resourcing for new product design projects, and helps plan, facilitate, and execute project kickoffs, workshops, and design sprints.
- Evangelizes internal design principles, values, and guidelines.
- Looks for new ways to improve the output of the team’s interactive and visual design work, improving the impact, quality, and overall success of client projects.
- Knows the status of every project they are accountable for, removes obstacles where they exist, and fully supports each member of the team so that they can do their best work.
- Organizes and leads group critiques.
- Works closely with project managers, developers and other groups within Underbelly to produce beautiful and usable digital products.
- Location: work in downtown Salt Lake City, minutes from the beautiful outdoors. The Underbelly crew is currently working from home and will return to the studio when state and local guidelines return to a “Green” status.
- People: a passionate and talented team of collaborators who don’t take themselves too seriously even during global pandemics. We pride ourselves in having the flexibility and professionalism to make significant transitions when needed and not missing a step with our clients.
- Workstation gear: a standing desk (in office), ergonomic chair, new Mac & 27-inch display.
- Continuing education and professional conference reimbursement for ongoing learning.
- Enjoy yourself: a fun culture, foosball, plenty of free food, coffee, homebrew, and company retreats.
- Money (competitive salary, quarterly profit sharing and bonuses)
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 20+ days of paid time off
- Life Insurance
- Paid holidays
- Relocation support