Urban Intelligence is looking for an experienced Product Designer that can improve and build on an advanced software MVP that is currently under development for use by high profile clients in the property sector and government. You will work closely with the company's highly-talented and close-knit team and be at the forefront of an industry-wide digital revolution. You'll use your skills to help solve big current societal problems such as the housing crisis and the carbon impact of new developments.
We've recently won several contracts with public sector clients, and we're keen to productise solutions that meet their user requirements. We are eager for the clients' users to relish working with our products and data in their work as much as they would enjoy a consumer app like Netflix. The role will also involve prototyping new product and business model concepts from scratch that are future-oriented. The role will involve active engagement with our internal team, but also our clients and the broader market.
Who are we?
Urban Intelligence is a growing, young and energetic (cough: "award-winning") team with expertise in real estate and geospatial analysis. Our distributed team members work across the UK and the world with hubs in Cardiff and London. Founded in 2014 the business has built a strong reputation in the property industry, attracting clients including HM Government, Transport for London and the London Borough of Hounslow.
As a profitable business, we have learned a lot over the years. We have a clear understanding of our clients' needs, our business priorities and the processes that we need to build to help us to continue to be successful. We have a clear idea for our next stage of growth, and we are looking for the right Product Designer to catapult us into our successful vision of the future.
Our products and services use data and technology to assess how sustainable sites are for property development. We use billions of data points that cross broad themes from heritage and the environment to social deprivation and the housing market. Our challenge is to turn this professional complexity into something digestible and straightforward that our clients and the public can generally understand.
Our work is innovative, and we are proud to question conventional wisdom and test the boundaries of established processes. Our work has been featured in the Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others. As recognised thought leaders in 'PlanTech', we regularly speak at conferences and events involving tech, planning and smart cities. Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that cares deeply about cities, society, economics and the environment.
You are a product designer with 2+ years of B2B product design experience. You will be imaginative, creative and structured in your thought process and happy to take the lead in working with a variety of stakeholders.
We expect you to have:
- A problem-solving mindset with a design-led approach
- A knack for understanding complexity and big picture challenges and working them into simple solutions
- Two years+ of product design including UI/UX experience
- Experience of wire-framing using tools like Figma or Sketch
- A solid grasp of fundamental software development concepts (i.e. what's possible or technically challenging)
- Excellent personal skills, including emotional intelligence, to accurately listen to users and diagnose their problems.
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Experience of conveying your ideas to a range of stakeholders
- Outstanding communication skills that deliver effectively to both tech and non-tech team members
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience of working with the public sector
- Knowledge and experience of developing B2B SaaS products
- An understanding of market research techniques and undertaking user/client interviews
- Experience working in a small interdependent team
- Experience working with Big Data
- An interest in property, economics, cities, society and the environment
You will play a key role in our growing team and take ownership of our products and their development for scaled distribution. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK's opaque and messy planning system and ensure that new developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build first-of-a-kind solutions to disrupt a massive, important industry that is only just waking up to the digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting technical challenges here at Urban Intelligence.
Besides, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package and equity options (commensurate with experience)
- Work remotely (we'll provide you with an allowance to work at a co-working space near you)
- Company pension
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)