Senior UX Designer
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We have an exciting and rare opportunity for a Senior UX Designer to join our Old School RuneScape title. As a UX Designer you will have the unique opportunity to join the Old School team and be part of a truly living game experience that touches the lives of our incredibly diverse players. The Old School team are a highly passionate and dedicated team, who are proud to work on this unique game and continue to have very a special, close bond with their players.
As a Senior UX Designer, through being Player Obsessed and Scientifically Creative, you will utilize your expertise and work closely with product and software teams. You will be expected to be the team champion of UX principles; to create, refine and elevate a holistic UX strategy that enables our players to discover, access and engage with our products, online services and experiences.
You will use your knowledge of User Research, Interaction Design, Testing and Implementation to practically enhance your team’s understanding of UX and user-centric design and exponentially improve the quality of our users’ experience at a product level. You will be expected to collaborate closely with both technical and non-technical members of your team, together with stakeholders from across the organization, to understand the product design vision and ensure it is reflected in the delivery.
It is expected for you to oversee maintenance and optimize user flows on our products, websites, internal tools, new software and feature sets as applicable to your team.
At a senior level, it is important to demonstrate an all-round ability to reliably and autonomously solve problems with great organizational, scheduling and mentorship skills. They must show an ability to look more broadly at product development and strategize accordingly within their discipline. Overall, seniors are expected to take on a higher level of responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of complex tasks on their project.
- Work as part of a team supporting both live or emerging product and software development
- Constantly look for new opportunities to improve our customer experience
- Collaborate with design teams and product owners to create personas, user journeys and experience maps
- Create prototypes and wireframes to deliver an intuitive, efficient and frictionless user experience
- Partner with designers, engineers and developers to successfully implement UX principles and designs
- Continually look for ways to improve the holistic design process, based around customer needs
- Champion UX principles, clearly and effectively communicate the value of sound UX processes to both stakeholders and team.
- Produce documentation as required to clearly communicate research, data, feedback, frameworks or processes.
- Define and conduct usability testing, user research and competitor analysis
- Interpret data and qualitative feedback to articulate a scientific, research-based rationale which enables developers to clearly identify user needs and possible solutions.
- Actively mentor, guide and level up UX thinking in both craft and team
- Execute analysis of new and emerging technologies and techniques to better support the business and our customers
- In-depth knowledge of modern interaction design principles
- Expert proficiency in craft software (e.g. UXPin, Balsamiq, InDesign, Figma)
- Strong portfolio of work demonstrating user-centric design projects
- Previous experience of numerous full cycle product development (including prototype and pre-production)
- Understanding of UI system design and architecture
- Fluency with using analytics, user testing & research to inform creative processes and decision making (quantitative and qualitative analysis methods, biometrics, user questionnaires etc.)
- Ability to collaborate with technical teams on complex development tasks
- Strong understanding of modern UX technologies, theories, architecture, and development techniques
- Understands and practices agile/lean product development mindset
- Strong delegation, coordination, and collaboration skills
- Comfortable mentoring and teaching colleagues and those more junior in craft
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to collaborate closely with engineers in support of implementing designs in a robust and standards-compliant way
- *BONUS* Knowledge of User Psychology or Cognitive Behavior
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.