The National Research Center for College and University Admissions™ (NRCCUA®), now a part of ACT®, is the startup-minded product development branch of iconic education nonprofit ACT®. Our mighty team is designing and building an ecosystem of tools to improve students’ and educators’ experience across the entire lifecycle, and already lead the market in multiple spaces. Our UX Design team defines how our users interact directly and indirectly with each other and enables them to make rich, informed, life-changing decisions.
We are seeking a talented, motivated Interaction Designer to join our fast growing product design team. We’re crafting a new generation of experiences connecting students from all backgrounds with educational and career opportunities that will transform their lives.
This is a key position which includes playing a significant role on our flagship data analysis platform, as well as collaborating with the team across many challenging products and projects. Our designers are responsible for designing market-leading products in collaboration with teams across Engineering, Product, and Data Science. This role is unique opportunity to make a significant impact on how students navigate the challenging worlds of education and career.
- From consumer-facing mobile to enterprise-level data analysis, our products are expanding rapidly! We’re building a high-level UX Design team to fashion our individual apps into a world-class ecosystem experience for the Education space.
- We are seeking a talented and motivated Product Designer with a strong interaction design skillset to join our team. You’ll be crafting a new generation of experiences connecting students with educational and career opportunities that will transform their lives.
- This is a key position where you’ll be playing a significant role across our platform and collaborating with the team across many challenging products and projects. Our team is responsible for designing market-leading products in collaboration with Engineering, Product, and Data Science. This role is a unique opportunity to make a dramatic impact on how students navigate the challenging worlds of education and career.
A day in the life of a product designer
- Ensure our interactive and visual design work meets your high taste level and makes our competition look like Windows 95.
- Play a major role in the redesign of our current app suite as we meet rapidly evolving user needs.
- Regularly design through prototyping using Figma, Principle, and any other tools you need.
- Help us standardize and organize with an integrated design system.
- Work on multiple products and projects concurrently, operating independently or digging in with the team as needed.
- Improve and iterate our design process so we can make better products and develop them faster.
- Design data-rich design solutions across a range of devices and markets using best-practices and emerging trends.
- We’ll make you familiar with our products by letting you get your hands dirty right away.
- Within 1 month, you will become familiar with our products and how they interact. You will have a deeper understanding of assigned projects and contribute to building out minimal and effective design systems.
- Within 3 months, you will be integral in creating a brand new redesign of our student-facing app working with our engineers to ensure the success of that redesign.
- Within 6 months, you’ll be helping build out our UX research program, teaming up with our dedicated student research team to develop a deep understanding of our users.
- Over time, you’ll grow into a design leader who identifies and addresses user needs independently, and draws others to your cause. You will challenge the team and the organization to do our best work together every day.
- Expert-level skill with rapid prototyping tools (Figma, Principle, etc.)
- Strong design skills and a compelling visual design sense
- Deep experience designing interactive products for iOS and Android mobile platforms
- A compelling online portfolio demonstrating excellent design skills and a high taste level
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience/certifications
- 5+ years professional product design experience
- Able to speak expressively about design and development with any audience
- Strong interpersonal skills related to interfacing with stakeholders, offering substantive creative contributions, and working through feedback
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative user research methods and techniques
- Experience with data analytics tools (MixPanel, ClickTale, etc.)
- Up-to-date on emerging trends, ideas, and approaches
Attributes we look for
- You'll be a self-starter with a system-level perspective, able to drive a design initiative from beginning to end plus an expert-level prototyper with experience building out minimal and effective design systems.
- You stay up-to-date on emerging trends, ideas, and approaches, and are able to speak expressively about design and interaction with any audience.
- Your 5+ years of Interactive Design experience makes you intimately familiar with design and UX best practices and you have participated in bringing products to market.
What sets us apart?
- Competitive salary with health and wellness benefits
- 401K matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible schedules
- Remote offices
- Weekly team off-sites (when health conditions permit)
- An opportunity to work with a world-class team to make a huge difference in the lives of students from all backgrounds.
We are committed to encouraging and supporting career growth with educational opportunities, personal career and professional guidance, and challenging work.
NRCCUA is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. All applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
NRCCUA endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability and need an alternative method for applying, please contact the People Team.