About the team
What’s unique about this role is you’ll be a dedicated member of Cloudflare’s Creative team, while also being deeply embedded with our Web Experience team. Both the Creative and Web teams are part of Cloudflare’s global marketing organization.
The Creative team at Cloudflare is composed of diverse talent, supporting Cloudflare’s many global creative and design initiatives. The spectrum of projects the team covers is wide and across many mediums: from rolling out our new brand refresh to supporting product launches, social creative, event experiences, advertising campaigns, video and animations, and of course supporting the design and creative across all marketing-owned web properties. We’re a diverse group of individuals who love to learn, collaborate, and solve large-scale problems.
About the role
If you’re a systems-thinking designer and can easily flow through user research to information architecture, wireframing, prototyping, user experience, and visual design as well as usability testing, then this may be the perfect role for you. In this role, you’ll get to apply your product/UX design expertise to create beautiful and impactful experiences for one of the world’s most innovative technology companies.
This past year was spent laying the foundation of our corporate website: componentization of our CMS, a new codebase, and the rollout of our new design system. In 2021, we have a tremendous opportunity to uplevel cloudflare.com, and we’re looking for an inquisitive, curious, and talented UX Designer to join the Creative team.
As a UX Designer at Cloudflare, you’ll work closely with other designers, product marketing managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to create meaningful experiences across Cloudflare’s marketing-owned web properties (cloudflare.com pre log-in, Cloudflare’s blog, and more). You will play a critical role as we continue to expand our newly rolled out design system across all of our web properties.
What you'll do
- Understand product requirements and explore different design solutions.
- Conduct user research and validate designs through usability tests.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers to create cohesive and consistent user experiences across our marketing-owned web properties from initial concept through shipping and beyond.
- Identify opportunities to uplevel how we communicate value to our customers, via thoughtful and innovative design solutions.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to build flows, mockups, and prototypes to visualize and share your ideas.
- Ship, measure, and improve your designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback.
- Be data driven and champion for the user-centric design process. Evangelize best practices constantly so all stakeholders are aligned, have context, and understand design directions.
- Work closely with the Brand Systems team and engineers to expand our design system for our marketing-owned web properties.
- Actively contribute to documentation that helps our design team grow our skills and scale our practice.
- Give and solicit feedback from designers and cross-disciplinary partners.
- Start to explore creative ways to bring designs to life via varying coding techniques (think WebGL, GSAP).
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 5+ years designing digital experiences at a tech, product-driven company (plus if your experience has been on an enterprise focused web marketing team).
- Deep empathy with, and understanding of users’ needs.
- Keen understanding of design principles, user-centered design methods, and design processes; designs with a performance and accessibility-first mindset.
- Established in applying your product design/UX skills to define problems and goals, make sense of complex information and system architecture, map user flows, wireframe, prototype interactions, and launch new experiences.
- Strong communication and visual design skills with a deep understanding of information design fundamentals such as typography, layout, and information hierarchy
- Possess strong business acumen along with written and verbal communication skills: able to frame problems clearly, bring in original ideas and approaches to solving them and persuasively communicate the most compelling solutions.
- Experience working with design systems and are able to extrapolate and extend web design patterns and behaviors.
- Experience working in a fast-paced agile environment.
- Previous leadership experience is a plus.
If you’re excited to work on big, purposeful, and complex problems with real-world impact, come help us build a better Internet! We’d love to hear from you. We require a portfolio link to be submitted with your application so our team can review your work and get a feel for your design process. Thank you for taking the time to submit it.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.