About the Senior Product Designer, Design Systems at Headspace:
About Product Design at Headspace:
We’re a small team of Product Designers at Headspace that are incredibly passionate and ambitious about improving the health and happiness of the world, and with more than 42 million users in over 190 countries, we’re well on our way. Creative excellence is core to Headspace, and we believe in the power of design to positively influence the way people interact with themselves and the world around them. You’ll have the chance to solve complex design and product problems working on cross-functional teams with other designers, researchers, content producers, product managers, engineers, customer experience specialists, and more. At Headspace, designers don’t work in solitude.
About the Senior Product Designer, Design Systems role:
You will help the Product Design team meet customers' high expectations for quality and familiarity by developing and applying system interface elements, icons, text styles, and uniform terminology to innovative new features; work across product teams to identify emerging trends, and turn them into reusable patterns; develop and maintain a pattern library and documentation; and advocate for UI standards and accessibility with designers, engineers, and stakeholders. This is the very first role of it’s kind at Headspace and is an incredible opportunity to elevate our complete system to an exceptional standard of craft. The Design System, and all components thereof, are the sole focus of this role.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: California, New York, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Maryland + Washington DC, North Carolina and Washington.
How your skills and passion will come to life at Headspace:
- Work day-to-day in a cross-functional team of engineers, product designers, brand designers, content producers, and product managers to build and maintain an end-to-end design system for Headspace’s surfaces and formats (iOS, Android, desktop and responsive web)
- Identify opportunities to improve our existing design system
- Partner with product designers and brand designers to develop new formats and explore their potential for creative expression
- Design workflows and internal tooling for keeping product assets and and designs versioned and updated in regards to content, brand, and product efforts for PR and internal archive purposes
- Guide the evolution of our design system(s), including the visual language and user experience of our component libraries and the tooling our design team uses every day
- Specify and maintain core principles in visual style, typography, spacing, motion, and interaction models
- Design and deploy interaction patterns through components, documentation, and prototypes
- Work with front-end developers to create new and maintain existing components that meet and exceed accessibility standards
- Continually seek to understand the capabilities and technical constraints of the systems with which you’ll be developing and working
- Enforce consistency and coherence across our design system
- Work with Design, PM, User Research, and Engineering peers to define the strategy, prioritize the design system roadmap, and ensure that all projects are well defined and high impact
- Connect the dots across experiences and teams to create a cohesive design system and customer experience
- Communicate and align with stakeholders, to keep them informed on the design system team’s progress and goals
- Be autonomous. You take full ownership of your work and drive your personal development. And you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
What you’ve accomplished:
- 7+ years of relevant design experience, including a portion of time dedicated solely to creating design systems
- Very strong experience using Figma, particularly creating easy-to-use shared libraries for the larger design team
- You are passionate about building inclusive design practices and love educating and mentoring others
- Obsessive attention to detail and strong visual design skills
- Well versed in, and opinionated about visual and user experience design
- You are technically-minded, interested in code as the material digital products are made of
- You are familiar and comfortable working within and contributing to large design systems that you may or may not own directly
- You think of interfaces as dynamic and love thinking about motion and flows
- Expert knowledge of platform-specific interface patterns and behaviors
- Well rounded understanding of information architecture
- Idealistic, yet pragmatic
- Love of iterative development
- Experience developing great software
- A solid understanding of how web and mobile applications work
- Ability to focus in an ever-shifting internal and external landscape
- You are accustomed to working in a collaborative cross-disciplinary environment, where experimentation and testing are valued
- You are intimately familiar with the capabilities and constraints of several of today’s and tomorrow’s digital devices and platforms
How we feel about Diversity & Inclusion:
Headspace is committed to bringing together humans from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We strive to create a diverse & inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do impactful work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our workplace.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Headspace. Please inform our Talent team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
How to get started:
If you’re excited by the idea of seeing yourself in this role at Headspace, please apply with your CV and a cover letter that best expresses your interest and unique qualifications.