UX Design Lead
SemanticBits is a leading company specializing in the design and development of digital health services, and the work we do is just as unique as the culture we’ve created. We develop cutting-edge solutions to complex problems for commercial, academic, and government organizations. The systems we develop are used in finding cures for deadly diseases, improving the quality of healthcare delivered to millions of people, and revolutionizing the healthcare industry on a nationwide scale. There is a meaningful connection between our work and the real people who benefit from it; and, as such, we create an environment in which new ideas and innovative strategies are encouraged. We are an established company with the mindset of a startup and we feel confident that we offer an employment experience unlike any other and that we set our employees up for professional success every day.
SemanticBits designs products in the Federal Health IT space that are beautiful, intuitive, usable, useful, and delightful. We are guided by our customers’ experience and empower users with cutting edge tools that will accelerate their access to healthcare data that will help make more informed decisions on healthcare policy, improve patient care, and reduce government spending.The UX Design Lead is key to achieving this. You will be part of a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary team focused on improving usability, user experience, and driving user adoption and engagement. This position will be part of a team working to tackle COVID-19 issues as they relate to the quality of care provided by the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
You will be responsible for conducting user research, analysis and synthesis, persona development, interaction design, and usability testing to create products that delight our customers. The work we do here at SemanticBits is highly visible and impacts a large number of healthcare recipients. This position is open to a mid-level to principal professional depending on experience as you will be expected to lead human centered design work for a software development project.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews, user requirements analysis, task analysis, conceptual modeling, information architecture, interaction design, and usability testing
- Design and specify user interfaces and information architectureLead participatory and iterative design activities, including observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, and other forms of requirements discovery
- Produce personas, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, design prototypes, and design specifications
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale and goals both verbally and visually
- Plan and facilitate collaborative critiques and analysis & synthesis working sessions
- Work closely with visual designers and development teams to ensure that customer goals are met and design specifications are delivered upon
- Develop proof-of-concepts and prototypes of easy-to-navigate user interfaces (UIs) that consists of web pages with graphics, icons, and color schemes that are visually appealing
- Plan, recruit, and facilitate the usability testing of a system
- Analyze and synthesize the results of usability testing in order to provide recommendations for change to a system
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Human Factors, Psychology, HCI, Computer Science, or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, with at least 2 years in a senior or lead role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews, contextual field visits, usability studies (either live or remote)
- Fundamental knowledge of UX principles and best practices, and experience designing wireframes or prototypes for research validation
- Proficiency in Sketch, Figma, Illustrator, Balsamiq, or other visual design and wire-framing tools
- Strong technical aptitude, product common sense, and curiosity combined with a genuine love for products, people, and user experience
- Demonstrated understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product-development process
- Candidate must reside in the United States
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary
Nice to Have:
- Experience working in the healthcare industry
- Federal Government contracting work experience
- Prior experience working remotely full-time
Physical and emotional requirements for the job:
- This position is to be performed remotely from an individual’s home office and involves sedentary work. Employees in this role can be expected to exert up to 10 pounds of force on occasion in order to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move standard electronic equipment. Employees are expected to make decisions in a timely manner and display emotional intelligence during occasional stressful situations.
Three weeks of PTO
Ten paid holiday days
Comprehensive health benefits (medical with HSA option, dental, and vision)
401k retirement plan with matching benefit
100% paid short-term and long-term disability
100% paid life insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Casual working environment
Flexible working hours
SemanticBits, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are also a veteran-friendly employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact 703-787-9656 x257 or HR@semanticbits.com for assistance.