Shopify has redefined commerce by raising the standard for how companies of all sizes operate, market, and sell their products and services. We power 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries to help them realize their entrepreneurial goals and dreams. We’re always growing and finding new ways to create more value for businesses around the world.
We’re looking for a UX director to lead Operate — the team striving to create experiences that help our merchants become more effective and capable as they start, grow, and run their businesses. This team works to deeply understand merchant problems to inform platforms and features that teams across Shopify rely on to make their products successful. Project areas include navigation & search, productivity tools, in-product communication, and continuous onboarding. We want to make Shopify the most effective platform for merchants to run their businesses and this team is key to that success.
In this role you will have overall ownership of the UX discipline and strategy for this area. We’re looking for someone who will help us evolve our user experiences to meet the needs of merchants for the next decade. You’ll lead UX Senior Managers, Managers, and multidisciplinary individual contributors, creating a creative, robust team culture that is digital by default. You'll need excellent craft skills in product design with a deep understanding of content design, UX development or research. You should have a strong track record as a leader, and a passion for investing in and supporting the people you lead. We're a highly collaborative team, so you'll need to be someone who's fulfilled by helping groups work together to deliver real change.
- Lead the UX strategy and execution for our Operate team by enabling and empowering your team to ship exceptional user experiences
- Work as a strategic partner with leadership in Engineering and Product Management to define the overall strategy and direction for the group
- Develop baseline knowledge in all our UX disciplines (UX Research, Product Design, and Content Design)
- Grow a culture of building and shipping with speed, consistency, and quality. We have immediate needs to deliver value to our users today while setting ourselves and our merchants up for long term success
- Lead your teams in a fast-moving environment while supporting team members in their growth and development
Requirements for the role
- Craft expertise. You bring a deep empathy for the user. You have expert knowledge of the end-to-end iterative product design process and bring deep experience driving and applying these processes in your leadership of a multidisciplinary UX team.
- Leadership. As a leader of leaders, you have successfully built and led large teams of teams during your career. Your craft depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader UX strategies. Building trust through craft quality and execution has been a huge success here at Shopify, and we look to find candidates that fit that model of leadership.
- Strategic thinking. You are comfortable managing varied and sometimes competing priorities. You are comfortable making great decisions quickly in dynamic contexts.
- Humility. You view product development as a team sport and you foster this environment within your teams. You lead by example, by being willing to roll up your sleeves and contribute tactically if that’s what your team needs. You believe that you can learn from all of your team members, no matter how experienced.
- Communication. You bring excellent communication, coaching and storytelling skills; you can grow your team’s ability to communicate the “why” to stakeholders
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
This posting will close on Monday, December 7th at 9am EDT. You can expect to hear back from us (regardless of outcome) by Friday, December 11th by 5pm EDT.