About the role
Academia.edu is searching for an experienced User Researcher to join our passionate, mission-driven User Research team.
In this role you will conduct foundational and tactical research to understand the needs and product experiences of our diverse users. You will work cross-functionally with Product Managers, leadership, engineering, marketing, and data science to identify research needs, execute on research using mixed methods, deepen user empathy across the company, and inspire the Product team with actionable recommendations. We are a small team so you’ll have the opportunity to have impact on both new and existing products, and the growing product and user research functions at the company.
* B.A. in a social or behavioral science, HCI, UX Design, or other field with a research component
* Minimum 2 years of end-to-end user research experience in an industry setting
* Formal training or experience with study design, data collection, analysis, and synthesis in multiple methods
* Demonstrated expertise with qualitative research methods
* Ability to translate findings into compelling insights and product recommendations and feed them into the product roadmap
* Ability to balance competing requests across multiple product teams and leadership
* Demonstrated ability to execute research quickly and independently, while working with multiple stakeholders
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills across functions and teams
Nice to haves:
* M.A. or Ph.D. degree in a research discipline
* Direct experience with academic research as an undergraduate, graduate student, or similar
* Quantitative research expertise, including survey design, data analysis, and reporting
* Work with PMs, designers, and leadership to understand key questions and business goals and design research that informs product
* Conduct mixed methods research and work with senior researchers and other teams to validate findings across data streams
* Guide and support PMs and Designers in the generation and synthesis of user feedback for rapid product iteration
* Evangelize research and creatively share insights to increase user empathy and inspire action on user-centric initiatives
* Identify opportunities for improving user experience by synthesizing data across user research, data science, and customer success
* Create foundational artifacts, such as user personas, journeys, and jobs to be done, that have impact across product teams
Academia.edu is building a new Open Science distribution and peer review platform for the world’s Academic papers. Guided by a mission to accelerate the world’s research, Academia aims to make every academic paper ever published available for free online and accessible by anyone in the world. Academia has become the world's leading software platform for reading academic papers.
Academia has built a network of Academics around the world who access our platform on the web and a native mobile app to discover new research, collaborate, recommend and peer review papers, and gather feedback on draft research by participating in real-time collaborative sessions.
Academia’s platform has registered more than 142 million users (growing on average at over 150,000 per day), and has over 70 million unique visitors every month, including over 20M logged-in monthly active users (MAU). We have over 280,000 paying premium subscribers, which has contributed to a doubling in revenue for both of the last two years. Despite Covid-19, we are profitable and still growing.
Benefits & perks
* Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary, stock options, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & DCA, & a 401k.
* Health & Self-Care: 100% employer paid medical, dental, & vision insurance for employees & their dependents. Flexible sick days, flexible hours, 21 days of paid vacation, 11 paid holidays, and paid parental leave. Standing desks and new Mac work laptop.
* Convenience & Location: Catered lunches served daily, snacks & drinks. On-site showers & bike storage. The office is located just a short walk to public transportation.
* Learning & Development: Budget for professional development, team building, and events. Free books.
* Fun & Activities: Chess, foosball, piano, guitar, board games, juggling. Company retreat every summer. Weekly bootcamp with our personal trainer. Before Covid-19 we had these cool activities, but now we’re all sheltering in place. Many of these activities, including wellness and connection initiatives, are still done remotely and we have others in the works.
* Paid Sabbatical: Six weeks of fully-paid sabbatical leave for every four years you work here.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.