Over a million designers use Sketch to transform their ideas into incredible products, every day. Would you like to join us and help take this leading design tool to the next level? We're looking to expand our team with a full-time UX Writer.
We're a design-focused product company. And an integral part of any good design is a well-written, clear, and concise copy. We spend a lot of time crafting minute details in our interfaces, and we believe the same level of detail matters in the words we use.
The copy in our product impacts our users’ experience in a big way. And we're looking for someone who can be a champion for this.
What you’ll do
As our first full-time UX Writer, you'll work with the design, product, and marketing teams, as well as in feature-focused squads, to make sure every word we use works hard to make our product as easy to understand as possible.
On a typical day, you could be:
- Working with developers, designers, researchers and product managers to shape new features and flows.
- Reviewing and auditing existing product copy to suggest improvements, improve consistency and ensure we follow the conventions set out by the platforms we use.
- Responding to ad-hoc UX copy requests from developers — from writing new copy, to implementing improvements and making changes.
- Collaborating with our product and marketing teams to help name new features, taking into account our past conventions and future plans.
- Working with our marketing team to maintain and improve our style and content guides, helping to make them go-to tools for the rest of the company.
You are an experienced UX copywriter with a background of working on technology products. You might have written for desktop/mobile applications, SaaS/Cloud products, or even design software. But more importantly, you’ll have confidence in your ideas and be willing to offer suggestions that make a positive difference to our product.
You'll know that UX is about more than words, so beyond your own writing, you’ll be able to offer your own input and ideas about how things should look, feel and work.
Whether you’re writing error messages, tooltips or transactional emails, keeping your copy consistent and making sure the Sketch voice shines through comes naturally to you. With a keen eye for detail, you’ll know the difference between Ok copy and OK copy. And you’ll have spotted the five times we used straight quotes instead of curly ones on this page.
Above all, you’ll know how to write in a way that’s clear, inclusive and empowering for our global audience of users.
Working at Sketch
Sketch has always been a 100% remote company, and our team are based around the world. Being remote adds great flexibility, and helps us build a more diverse team. We put respect for each other above everything else.
Besides being remote, we work asynchronously as often as we can. This means that our team communicates mostly using Slack, Notion and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls.
Our design department is a team of 10, working closely with all other teams in Sketch. Though you would be our first dedicated writer in our small design team, you'll be working closely with content and copy specialists in marketing, as well as our product leads.
We work in multidisciplinary squads where people from different disciplines work together to solve problems and deliver features for our users.
- You’ve spent three or more years in similar roles.
- You’ve worked with product teams that ship regularly to a large, diverse set of users.
- You can think beyond words and contribute to discussions around the wider user experience.
- You believe strongly in the power of good copy and how the language we use matters
- You’re happy working by yourself and managing multiple commitments, as well as collaborating with others to solve a specific problem.
- You have excellent communication skills, are self-motivated, and comfortable working in a remote position.
- You’re able to work full-time and are based in European / African timezones.
- You have experience in writing for native desktop or mobile Applications, Cloud/SaaS Products, or design tools.
- You’re familiar with the key tools we use — Slack, Notion and GitHub.
- You’ve used Sketch and understand the design tools space.
- You’re willing to learn how to commit your own copy updates to our codebase, where necessary.
- You’re familiar with Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and know how to apply them in the context of UX copy.
Even if you're not able to tick all of these boxes, we would still love to hear from you.