User Interface Designer
User Interface (UI) Designer
Takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a talented UI Designer to join our UI Design team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored if you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the UI Team Lead
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Explore ideas for how to solve UI design challenges and then refine it into a coherent solution.
- Carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our designers and engineers to ship great products.
- Design clear, simple and elegant interfaces.
- Own the process of taking in wireframes from UX and producing UI design assets for development.
- Maintain components in the design system, acting as custodian of UI design assets.
- Own design reviews of your work with the Design team and key stakeholders.
- We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions. Act as the user advocate during the development process.
- Ability to work independently but also to collaborate with the team when required.
- Ability to produce quality UI work on a consistent basis.
- Bringing a positive attitude to the team
- Being a considerate team player
- Passion and diligence to produce high quality work
Qualifications and experience:
- You have at least 2 years experience in a UI/Product Design or similar role with a portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- Relevant tertiary qualification required.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired - motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You shine through your designs and you're excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product owners and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and white-boarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
- Sketch is your tool of choice. If you are good at AE or any other motion design tool, this will be advantageous.
- You are eager to showcase your prototyping skills and have used Invision and another tool of choice frequently in the past.
- Takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extraordinary Mind who
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.