Product Design Lead
Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices in Austin, Denver and Atlanta, Orchard has over 200 employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $130 million in equity financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen.
About the Role
We are seeking a Product Design Lead to drive the end to end design process for Orchard’s first native mobile app, taking it from user research insights into simple and usable experiences that delight users. You will work with UX Research and Product to uncover insights and product opportunities that drive the strategic direction and positioning of our native app. The ideal candidate has hands-on experience working on fast-paced, collaborative teams and a passion for solving complex consumer problems from ideation to execution. This role is based in our New York office and reports to the Head of Design.
What You’ll Do Here
- Build Orchard’s first native app experience from the ground up to maximize customer value and strategic business opportunities
- Establish native first design and interaction patterns that are on brand and can scale as we invest in mobile
- Working iteratively to validate hypothesis, understand how customers are engaging with the product and identifying opportunities to improve our rethink our solutions
- Collaborate with UX Research, Product Management, and Engineering partners to drive the strategic direction of the mobile product
- Act as a leader within the Product Design team, collaborating with other designers to make their work and the whole team better
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- Hands on experience building natives apps for iOS and/or Android with domain expertise of patterns and best practices for native apps
- 5+ yrs of experience as a product designer at a B2C company
- Strong customer focus with experience conducting research across the product cycle, from generating strategic insights that drive product innovation to usability testing to validate design solutions.
- Ability to cut through noise and complexity, working iteratively and prioritizing to maximize customer value and business impact
- Strong systems thinking, information architecture, and interaction design skills
- Communication skills and leadership to align cross functional teams around a problem and drive impact for our customers.
- Eagerness to learn, a track record for being self-driven, and experience managing multiple projects at the same time
- Interest and excitement about complex systems and solving new, challenging problems in a sector ripe for innovation
- Bias to action, able to work creatively to unblock themselves and the team, balance quality and time
- Experience or interest in managing designers is a plus but not required for the role
About the Product Design Team
The Product Design team is responsible for crafting digital product experiences that make the experience of buying and selling a home simple and stress-free for our customers, as well as for our internal sales & operations teams. You would be joining a growing team of 5 talented product designers working on cross-functional teams with Product Managers and Engineers. Our product teams are highly collaborative and design plays a critical role in the product development process - from setting OKRs, validating concepts with customers, and iterating on our work to constantly improve our product experience. In addition to our cross-functional teams, we have a strong design team culture - spending time together on a daily basis to collaborate, give feedback and help eachother grow in our craft.
We're proud to be recognized by Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes as one of the best workplaces of 2020. We also have a 4.9 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
Equal Opportunity Call Out
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.