Junior UI/Product Designer
PINATA is on a mission to power the $1T field-marketing industry from end to end. Based in NYC, we are post-Series-A and poised for significant growth in our next chapter.
“Field” is a broad category encompassing many forms of offline, human-powered marketing initiatives. This includes product demos, consumer and B2B events, trade promotions, pop-ups, street teams, and more. Though it often represents 20-30% of a brand’s marketing budget, it has historically lacked a technology solution to simplify work and improve ROI. Put simply, it is the last corner of enterprise marketing that remains largely “un-modernized” by technology and data.
PINATA aims to transform this industry in much the same way that Marketo, Hubspot, Yext, Mailchimp, and others have transformed digital marketing. Our founding team has built a scalable software platform that is already delivering unprecedented efficiency, transparency, and performance-improvement to marquee global brands. Following a recent fundraising round, we are looking to build significant scale in the immediate.
About the role
We’re seeking a highly motivated Junior UI Designer who is creative, systematic, thoughtful, and hard working, in addition to being technically skilled. You will be fully integrated into our product team as a vital part of the software-development process. Working directly with product and engineering — as well as business leadership — you will ensure that PINATA’s product is a model of usability, clarity, elegance, and consistency. The individual features, full-flows, and overall design systems you help develop must simultaneously delight our users, improve UX, and streamline engineering. This role is an outstanding opportunity for an up-and-coming enterprise-UI designer looking to take significant ownership of major design challenges, while leveraging in-house expertise, support, and systems.
- PINATA is known for elegantly designed enterprise software. While we put exceptional emphasis on aesthetics, our ultimate focus is usability and customer experience. As such, we measure the success of design not just in pixel-perfection, but also in the day-to-day value it delivers to our hard-working users. Simply put: This role is about designing usable software first and foremost. The ideal candidate will relish system/UX/UI design in equal or greater measure to visual design/branding.
- This role will work closely with existing CPO and Senior Designer, who will be primarily responsible for setting overall product direction, scoping, and in some cases designing key screens that will need elaboration. The ideal candidate will welcome the opportunity to collaborate and learn from experienced colleagues, while working within the stylistic and functional parameters they establish.
- Translate mocks, sketches, or general design direction into fully-realized screens across mobile and desktop, relying heavily on an existent style guide and component library.
- In collaboration with Product Management, produce development-ready output that can be handed off to the Dev Team with appropriate specifications (e.g. interaction notes, thorough documentation of edge-case states, etc.)
- Contribute to the development of a consistent, flexible, and extensible design system
- Design with technical lift in mind, maximizing value for our customers while minimizing developer effort/time to build.
- QA dev-team outputs to assess both aesthetics and functionality
- The ideal candidate will also, on occasion and where appropriate, support product marketing functions with static visual output (one pagers, infographics, etc.). This is a great opportunity to flex visual-design muscles as well.
- Experience designing for both mobile web and desktop
- Excellent verbal and visual communication skills
- Experience designing for enterprise utility (i.e. people who need to get complex work done). Candidates with only branding/visual-design experience will not be considered.
- Experience using (and ideally contributing to) reusable and extensible design components
- Knowledge of how your designs turn into code (aka, dev-friendly)
- A can-do attitude with a willingness to roll up your sleeves and solve complex design problems on your own, iteratively and quickly
- The passion and energy to shape the future of a young company that’s poised to fundamentally change a major industry
The ideal candidate will also have...
- Familiarity with front-end concepts (such as Elm or React), as you will be designing interfaces primarily for the engineering team using this framework
- Some CSS/HTML is a plus
- Experience with developer-friendly design tools such as Figma, Framer, or Sketch
- Competitive compensation plan/base/bonus relative to the role and your experience
- Full benefits package including 99% paid medical, dental, & vision insurance - as well as life Insurance
- 401k with a discretionary match based on company performance
- Pre-tax transit check program options
- Long term disability leave policies
- Generous maternity and paternity leave policy
- 12 Paid company holidays and a flexible vacation policy - get your work done and take the time off you need
- Work from home/remote work options
- Choice of hardware setup (computer; monitor; peripherals, etc.)
- Frequent team outings including retreats, happy hours, dinners, game night, and more!
Ready to join us?
- We’re excited to meet you! Please send your resume and portfolio links to email@example.com
About our team
PINATA was co-founded by Josh Wand, CEO of ForceBrands, the leading recruitment firm in the CPG industry. Josh founded PINATA to serve the burgeoning experiential-marketing needs of his manifold clients leveraging partners from both the CPG and technology industries.
At PINATA, we’ve built a collaborative, hard-working, and high-performing team that values dedication, diversity, and positivity in equal measure. We support each other and are always willing to go above and beyond to help our teammates and our users. We work hard but know how to have a lot of fun while we’re at it too.
If you’re looking to be part of something profound and build something special from the ground up, PINATA is for you. Join us! Learn more about PINATA at gopinata.com, or new our COVID-19 Response application HAYDAY at https://www.gohayday.co