About the department
We’re a group of people that love to learn, collaborate, and solve large-scale problems. 2021 is a big year for us, and we’re looking for an inquisitive, curious, and talented UX Designer to join our team.
What’s unique about this role is you’ll be a dedicated member of Cloudflare’s Brand Design team, while also being deeply embedded within our Web Experience team. Both the Brand Design and Web Experience teams are part of Cloudflare’s global marketing organization.
Cloudflare is an exciting, fast-paced, and supportive place to work and grow. We currently sit in front of approximately 25 million Internet properties, and we’re growing every day. Your work will impact and influence the user experience of our marketing-owned web properties visited by millions of people daily.
If you’re a systems-thinking UX Designer who’s excited to work on big, meaningful, and complex problems with real-world impact, come help us make the Internet better! We’d love to hear from you.
What we’re looking for
You’re an established UX designer and are committed to delivering thoughtful and user-focused design solutions end-to-end. You are seen as an expert in your field and understand the importance of working collaboratively to get your work across the finish line. You thrive in making sense of the unknown and have the creative vision to help take our web properties to new heights.
What you'll do
- Contribute to UX strategy to uplevel how we communicate value to our customers, via thoughtful and innovative design solutions.
- Work in a highly collaborative environment as a design partner to project owners, web experience managers, designers, and engineers to ship experiences based on business objectives and user needs and insights.
- Lead, design, execute, and communicate the impact of your work on projects of all sizes and complexities.
- Understand and distill complex, broad concepts into purposeful and functional mockups and prototypes.
- Apply your skills throughout the product life-cycle including research, sketches, wireframes, interaction, and visual design through prototyping and usability testing.
- Ship user-friendly experiences that clearly express the capabilities of our technical products and in a way that is accessible to all audiences.
- Continually measure and improve your designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback.
- Design and maintain components, UI patterns, and documentation for our web design system.
- Participate in design reviews and present on what you have learned to cross-disciplinary partners.
- Contribute to documentation that helps our design team grow our skills and scale our practice.
- Mentor and coach other designers to help them learn and grow their craft.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 5+ years of demonstrated talent and passion for designing end-to-end user experiences at a tech, product-driven company; plus if your experience has been on an enterprise or B2B focused web marketing team.
- Deep empathy with, and understanding of users’ needs.
- Keen understanding of design principles, user-centered design methods, and design processes; designs with a performance and accessibility-first mindset.
- Expertise in applying your thinking, discipline, and ability to define problems and goals, make sense of complex information and system architecture, map user flows, wireframe, prototype interactions, and launch new experiences.
- Strong communication and visual design skills with a deep understanding of information design fundamentals such as typography, layout, and information hierarchy.
- Possess strong business acumen along with written and verbal communication skills: able to frame problems clearly, bring in original ideas and approaches to solving them and persuasively communicate the most compelling solutions.
- Ability to effectively influence both internal and external stakeholders across all levels of the organization.
- Experience working with design systems and are able to extrapolate and extend web design patterns and behaviors.
- Experience working in a fast-paced agile environment and able to change approach and mindset as needed.
- Use the tools of the trade to design, share feedback, and ensure work is on track (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Google Suite, Asana, Jira)
- Previous leadership experience is a plus.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience in either UI, UX, product design, or visual design.
If you’re an inquisitive, curious, and talented UX Designer - come join our team! We require a portfolio link to be submitted with your application so our team can review your work and get a feel for your design process. Thank you for taking the time to submit it.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
184.108.40.206: We released 220.127.116.11 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.