at Quorum (View all jobs)
Named the top D.C. startup to watch in 2016, 2017, and 2018, Quorum builds software for public affairs, providing one place for stakeholder engagement, legislative tracking, and grassroots advocacy. Thousands of public affairs professionals use Quorum for their work in Congress, all 50 state legislatures, major U.S. cities, and the European Union. Quorum remains entirely bootstrapped, having never raised venture capital funding, and works with organizations like Coca-Cola, the United Nations Foundation, Sierra Club, General Motors, Lyft, and the U.S. Travel Association. Founded in 2014, Quorum is headquartered in Washington, D.C. with an international office in Brussels.
Called "The Moneyball Effect on K Street" by the Washington Post and "Google for Congress" by the Huffington Post, Quorum has been featured in over 50 news outlets and is used by Walmart, Coca-Cola, Apple, the United Nations, and many other companies, trade associations, and advocacy groups.
- You have several years of experience working in product design, UI design, UX design, or a similar role.
- You have very strong skills with design software (Sketch, InDesign, Figma, etc.). Experience with CSS (and/or a framework like Sass, Stylus, etc.) is a strong plus.
- You believe that UX is equally as important as UI and are as passionate about making software easy to use as you are about making it look good.
- You constantly notice & appreciate great design. It doesn't matter if you're walking down the aisle in a grocery store or passing time on Dribbble. You're able to spot and appreciate well crafted color palettes and delightful aesthetics.
- You value thorough research. This includes (but isn't limited to) competitor research, user interviews, and usability testing. You also believe that while most decisions should be made with data sometimes inspiration can come from anywhere.
- You're passionate about joining the team as the first dedicated UI/UX designer at Quorum and look forward to working closely with leadership to establish this role.
What You'll Do
- First week: you'll do a deep dive into Quorum's existing products and workflows and watch users interact with our tools
- First month: you'll take Quorum's existing design assets and processes and improve them to increase your ability to prototype and experiment more quickly and easily
- First 6 months: you'll build a centralized design framework that makes it easier for engineers to build tools that are easy to use and appealing by default
- First year: you'll help guide our team as we make design and product decisions that impact all of our products, each of our users, and the growth of the entire company.
- We're a small team that works fast. Iterating and shipping code quickly is in our DNA. Done is better than perfect, but we do our best to build systems that let us move quickly without breaking too many things.
- We support many different products but internally think of them as one system with a single unified codebase. Our goal is to build centralized systems that handle the hard stuff for multiple features and products.
- We live on the cutting edge of software engineering in both our frontend and backend. We rely heavily on open source tools but aren't afraid to dig in and make something better ourselves.
- We're very close as a team -- we work together, hang out together, eat together, and some of us even live together. Previously, The Washingtonian described us as "DC's nerdiest group house... shaking up Washington’s oldest trade."
Our Work Environment
- We work in a vibrant, sunlit space in our modern, open concept office
- A weekly food delivery service stocks our fridges with breakfast and lunch foods so our team doesn’t have to eat out.
- All team members are given access to our building’s state of the art gym
- Our team loves to spend time doing fun things outside of the office, which we call Quorum Fun events. Past Quorum Fun events have included apple picking, yoga, and wine tasting
- Our office building is located in the heart of downtown DC, easily accessible by metro, bus, and rideshares. It is also in close proximity to great restaurants, food trucks, shopping, and popular happy hour spots
- To name a few, we offer health care, a 401K program, unlimited paid time off, commuter benefits, and healthcare benefits!
If you'd like to learn what it's like to have a real impact at a fast-growing company that is changing the way the advocacy process works, drop us a line. We'd love to talk to you!
Please include a portfolio with examples of products that you've previously designed -- straight design work is great to include, but we'd like to see examples of application interface design in particular.