Symmetry is a new kind of security company. We apply machine learning with precision and speed to help our customers better understand and protect their large fleets of data stores and applications. Our goal is to provide visibility and actionability to engineering organizations and security teams globally responsible for managing data and identity management risk. We do all of this without impacting developer productivity, while creating symmetry and balance between Engineering and Security teams.
We are a kind and trustworthy team. We believe in a blameless culture, focused on working together toward one mission and goal. We take pride in our work and apply a craftsmanship rigor to building our product each and every day.
We are looking for a creative and engaging Product Designer to join our growing development team. Symmetry is an early stage startup in a new category of technology called Data Store and Object Security (DSOS). We are making our mark with customers and prospects through interesting data visualizations and seamless workflows backed by machine learning.
We are building a different kind of security product, focused on presenting observability and actionability about all things data and permission. The Product Designer role is the missing link we actively are seeking within our development process to help us iterate through the product life cycle.
This is the beginning of our journey building a UX team. We hope to add researchers, UX designers, content creators and accessibility experts in due time. Any candidate applying for this role will need to be our subject matter expert in all things UX for the foreseeable future. Consider it an adventure in being a “Full Stack UX/Product Designer” as we iterate our product and grow our team. It’s a great opportunity for more autonomy and putting your finger prints on the product in these early days.
What We Need
Ideal candidates have worked as part of a successful UX organization in a previous role. They have worked with UX Researchers, UX Designers, Information Architects and Frontend Developers. Coming into this role, he/she will help us bring a clear, actionable story about data security risk to our prospects and customers. We will need your help creating prototypes to review with users. You would have had experience building and/or maintaining a design system. You would also have had experience conducting research and usability testing.
We look for candidates who exhibit an entrepreneurial spirit and want to shape the future of this product with a bit of personal creativity. You are passionate about your work, show attention to detail, take initiative, have an infectious team spirit, and of course exhibit a collaborative attitude. It doesn’t hurt to have a good sense of humor too! We are especially interested if you love telling compelling visual stories about rich data experiences.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with our developers and leadership team to create concepts and evolve them into workflows, wireframes, and final mockups or visual assets.
- Help define and clarify user stories.
- Design a clean and beautiful user interface that customers and prospects feel joy working with.
- Conduct design reviews internally with key stakeholders, as well as present designs with external design partners and early customers.
- Implement the beginning of a design system with members of our frontend and visualization teams.
- Audit the current iteration of our product looking for interactive inconsistencies.
- Support any early user/customer research and/or usability testing efforts to better understand product challenges.
- Demonstrate leadership by recommending solutions and working with others to make them happen.
What You Will Bring
- Ability to tell compelling and empathetic stories from the user's point-of-view to developers and stakeholders through your design decisions.
- Expertise with design tools to visualize work, such as Figma or Sketch.
- Experience designing commercial or open source DevOps and/or Security software.
- Sketching or drawing ability to quickly communicate ideas.
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates how your design choices solved user problems.
- BS/BA/BFA in art, design, or related field.
- Familiar using and maintaining design systems in your workflow.
- Passion and commitment for designing rich and informative data visualizations.
- Attention to detail and well-developed problem-solving skills.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and equity package.
- 401k with matching program, up to 4% matching.
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental and vision).
- Work from anywhere experience.
- Generous on-boarding allowance to create an exceptional work from anywhere experience.
- Welcome swag box full of fun goodies and gear.
- Unlimited PTO and company holidays with a required 2 weeks time-off to refresh the mind and body.
- Annual professional development fund for certifications, conferences, books and training classes.
- Paid parental leave.
- Continuous training and mentorship.
- Life insurance and disability benefits.
At Symmetry, we are committed to promoting a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where everyone can excel. We take great efforts to ensure that our hiring practices are inclusive and meet equal employment opportunity standards. Individuals seeking employment at Symmetry are considered without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, ancestry, nationality, physical and/or mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.