Senior UX Researcher
Hipcamp is looking for a Senior UX Researcher to join our distributed design team. The ideal candidate has 4+ years experience as an in-house UX Researcher at a marketplace or consumer facing company. If you’re passionate about the outdoors and would like to work in a fast-paced startup environment remotely from just about anywhere (in the US or Canada) then we want you!
Hipcamp unlocks access to private land, creating new places for people to get outside and go camping. We believe that spending time in nature is essential to a happy and healthy human life, and we are passionate about our mission to get more people outside. We are deeply proud of the impact Hipcamp creates by making nature more accessible, providing income to support the protection of private land, and creating community across the urban-rural divide.
Hipcamp’s product culture is built on a deep and genuine commitment to helping people connect with the outdoors. To us, product doesn’t mean just Hipcamp.com and our mobile apps—it also means the actual campsites and the on-the-ground experience our guests and hosts have. This is a chance to flex your big picture thinking and contribute to a product that spans both online and offline experiences.
About the Role
In this role, you'll partner closely with Data Scientists, Product Designers, Product Managers, Engineers, and other stakeholders to unlock deep insights about our Hipcampers and Hosts behaviors and attitudes. You'll own the end-to-end research process and socialize results and actionable next steps across the organization. You’ll bring an open mind and vision about new features areas, test conceptual work, and monitor products and services once they’ve rolled out. Building a great product is a highly collaborative effort, so it’s important you are a team player with strong communication skills.
What Success Looks Like
- You partner closely with functional stakeholders to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- You conduct independent research on multiple aspects of our products and experiences
- You collect and analyze user behavior through surveys, studies, on-site visits, benchmark studies, server logs and online experiments (eg. A/B testing)
- You understand and incorporate complex business and technical requirements into research
- You advocate research findings throughout the organization through written documentation and presentations
- You are a tireless advocate for our Host and Hipcamper communities
- You raise the bar on quality, testing, and performance to ensure the product reliably performs for our Hosts and Hipcampers
- You foster an inclusive, supportive, and positive environment that is great to work in
What Sets You Up For Success
- +4 years of professional experience conducting UX research on a marketplace product or consumer facing product
- Experience owning research programs that have influenced the look, feel, and shape of products
- Experience conducting innovative research studies and evaluative usability studies
- Experience conducting statistical analysis of large scale survey data
- Willingness to take initiative, run with projects, and speak up when support and guidance is needed
- Design thinking methods and brainstorm facilitation
- Previous experience conducting research in other global regions and working on products with global impact
- Previous experience identifying, onboarding, and leading external research, translation, transcription, and tools vendors
- Bonus: Some familiarity with programming languages (Such as SQL, Python, etc.)
- Bonus: BA/BS degree in Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Communications, Information Science, or equivalent areas
About our Work Environment
Compensation will be a mix of salary and stock options. It is based on your location and will be highly competitive compared to similar-stage companies.
Health is essential to happiness. In addition to full health insurance, all team members receive a monthly wellness stipend and $1K in Hipcash because we believe getting outside is excellent preventative medicine in addition to increasing your creativity, lowering your stress, and making you an overall more awesome human.
We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with great people, empowerment, and autonomy create the best results. We feel confident that inclusive and diverse teams working on an important cause can accomplish extraordinary things.
Hipcamp is an equal opportunity employer and we greatly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. In fact, we are confident that the most inclusive and diverse teams accomplish the most extraordinary results.