Posted 2 years ago
Apply for this job
About Veterans Advantage
When we first launched Veterans Advantage in 2001, we created our mission to deliver “greater respect, recognition and rewards for those who serve.” Today, as the voice of the Greater Military Community and a Public Benefit Corporation, we advocate for corporate partners to join us in creating value through connected commerce experiences, military verification, and offer content discovery. We’re driven to deliver outstanding digital experiences, advocacy, and exceptional value for our business partners and military community members. We embark on our mission to recognize all who have served, those who continue to serve, their families, and those who support them, through the creation of A Real Thank You.
Be growth-minded. Analyze and read everything. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Never stop learning, whether it’s a skill, a marketplace, about the customer, the industry, the world. Share your knowledge with the team and encourage reflection.
Be empathetic. Recognize your fellow team members’ efforts. Respect different voices. Welcome unique points of view. Strive to understand, not just accept. Remain humble and champion each other.
Be fearlessly creative. Embrace autonomy, an entrepreneurial attitude, and risk-taking. Stand up for your scariest ideas. Disregard the way things have always been done in favor of the better, the bigger, and the downright best ways to get stuff done. Challenge the status quo. Make new things happen.
Be responsible. What you do is part of who you are. Own your decisions. Take action. Don’t set it and forget it. The ball is always in your court. Be accountable. You might not be the best person to fix everything but nothing is ever “not your problem.”
Be honest. Embed trust in everything you do. Work with integrity. Be trusted to do the right thing at the right time.
Be patient. There is no magic bullet. Keep focused on the goal. Resiliency is the key to achieving success one step at a time. Be persistent in achieving results.
Is branding and UI work a passion for you? Can you think beyond a logo and visualize a larger system? Do you excel in both brand and digital expression on a website? Do you value listening? Are you able to reframe challenges in communication as opportunities to connect? Are you comfortable with critique and opposing opinions? Do you value the power of good storytelling?
We rely on our UI Designer to do what everyone who isn’t a designer thinks all designers do. Pixels! They create beautiful masterpieces of color and depth. All while enforcing (and also shaping) our branding.
They work hand-in-hand with Product Designers, supporting their efforts to ship solutions.
While Product Designers take responsibility for the end-to-end product experience, UI Designers focus solely on visual quality.
Relevant Skills: interaction design, storytelling, branding, visual design, illustrations, mobile app design, logo design, icon design, typography, animations, color theory, wire framing, prototyping, accessibility.
We're not looking to see if you have a degree in design or many years of experience. Many of our teammates are self-taught. We're looking to see that you are a thoughtful designer and strategic thinker whose love of the craft goes beyond self expression.
Bonus points for applicants who have strong motion design capabilities.
What You'll Do
- You'll design web applications, UI components, design systems, and brand assets.
- You'll work with the rest of the Design team to maintain, enhance, and improve our brand Design System.
- You'll work with other members of the Creative Team to deliver asset systems and component designs.
- You'll work with Product Operations to deliver application prototype designs, interaction designs and solve UI/UX problems.
- You'll work with Creative Operations to document design systems, building a transferable and extendable design system.
- You'll work with Creative and Product Operations to enhance workflows, design interactions, and address design debt in the roadmap.
Who You Are
- You maintain a portfolio demonstrating knowledge of design fundamentals.
- You have experience developing branding material and UI Design Components and are willing to share with us your process.
- You're strong around branding work and knowledgeable around branding theory.
- You have experience designing interfaces and interactions for mobile and web applications.
- You've developed strong UI work including accessibility fundamentals.
- You've demonstrated ability to generate supportive visual language assets for larger brand systems beyond logos, logotypes, or basic components.
- You're efficient, understanding that progress is more important than perfection.
- You demonstrate attention to detail, making technical design decisions that lead to growth in design systems rather than debt.
- Experience with Figma
- Experience with Atomic Design Principles
- Experience with designing for AdTech and Advertising
- Experience with Design Systems
- Experience with animations and motion design
- Experience with designing React Components
- Accessibility (a11y) Design Experience
Company Remote Workspace
Veterans Advantage operates a 100% globally distributed remote first workspace. Our focus is on asynchronous communication and distribution of transparent knowledge. We take pride in continuing to build and improve our remote workspace to empower Team Members to deliver value to the Military Community. Here’s our Productivity Suite we supply for all Team Members:
100% remote work
Paid Time Off (“PTO”) : Starting at 15 Days
Unpaid Time Off (“UTO”)
Global and Country Specific Holidays
Leave of Absence
Parental Leave : Paid & Unpaid
Jury Duty Leave
Retirement 401k Investment Advising
Health Care Insurance
Health Reimbursement Account (“HRA”)
Flexible Spending Account (“FSA”)
Career Development and Professional Training Reimbursement
Continuing Education Reimbursement
Custom Personal Financial Planning
Personal Access to our Marketplace of Military Discounts and Benefits
Note: These benefits are only applicable to full time, permanent associates at Veterans Advantage located in the United States.
At Veterans Advantage, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our Team Members, our products and our community. Veterans Advantage is an equal opportunity employer. Employment at Veterans Advantage is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. Veterans Advantage does not discriminate against any Team Member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law.
It is Veterans Advantage policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity. The Company's EEO policy, as well as its affirmative action obligations, includes the full & complete support of the Company, including its Chief Executive Officer. Because it's just the right thing to do. We hope you think so, too.
Learn more about the EEOC's "Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law" (PDF) we abide by.
Veterans Advantage does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Veterans Advantage and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.