This is a remote position.
This position will be open and accepting applications until 5 PM EST on May 28, 2021.
Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to meet the needs of our users while closing the gap between consumer expectations and government. We’re looking for people with an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to improve how the government serves people. If you thrive on change and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
Work on things that matter
Working at Ad Hoc means putting your time and skills towards helping the government better serve the public. Our teams connect Veterans with services designed for their needs, help millions of people access affordable health care, and support important programs like Head Start. As we work with agencies to deliver critical services, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to bring the best people onto our teams and give them the freedom to create a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to home decor), our company culture acknowledges all the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s welcomed.
What matters most
Ad Hoc values acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We leave our egos at the door to learn from our mistakes and improve the process for the next time. We’re a team that loves the challenge of government-size projects and loves to see our customers succeed. We build small, inclusive teams to bring the best of consumer technology to the problems of government.
What you’ll do as a UX Writer
As an Ad Hoc UX Writer, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team, working closely with designers, product managers, software engineers, and stakeholders. With projects spanning from microcopy to content strategy to plain language technical documentation, our writers tend to be UX writing generalists, with some developing skills in information architecture or technical writing. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Producing writing work including discovery artifacts, technical writing that incorporates plain language standards, microcopy, design library contributions, and content style guides
- Contributing to applications, systems, and other written artifacts that support digital service development
- Maintaining ownership of assigned deadlines
- Synthesizing and interpreting information gathered in a discovery process
- Using systems level thinking to analyze content as it relates to the digital services we build
- Collaborating with others; making your work visible and advocating for good content
- Giving and receiving peer feedback
Some basic requirements
- All work must be conducted within the U.S., excluding U.S. territories
- As a government contractor, you may be required to obtain a public trust security clearance
- Some of our available roles are on federal contracts that require a degree or additional years of experience as a substitute
- Some federal contracts require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment
Tips for applying
- Include either 1-2 writing samples or a link to a UX writing portfolio with your application. Samples should be for a digital product or service and can include website copy, documentation of a process or policy, or an example of technical writing written in plain language.
- If your application seems like a good fit, we’ll invite you to complete a quick writing assignment, which we evaluate blindly. This helps us have a greater understanding of how you approach writing problems, while also reducing bias from our hiring process. We will not ask you to do any form of whiteboarding or spec work.
Learn about our benefits
Ad Hoc is a great place to be. Our benefits package includes:
- Company-subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance
- Use what you need vacation policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year
- $2,000 continuing education/annual conference attendance stipend
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.