You are skilled in building scalable systems that promote design consistency and speed of execution. You’ve built systems that have scaled across multiple teams and you have exposure working on multiple product lines. You have a great technical understanding of how to build design systems, UI patterns, and work smartly around technical limitations. You understand how to test and validate the creation of new UI components to ensure we are creating forward-thinking design decisions and meeting accessibility standards. You have a proven track record of working with Product Designers and Engineers to build systems that promote consistency across various initiatives and promote a long-term design direction.
You’ll dive in headfirst and get to work in your first couple of weeks and continue the development of our design system and build out rich documentation standards the entire team will use. You’ll be tasked with auditing our entire product and prioritizing what components need to be rebuilt, reworked, and what can stay. In your first couple of months, you will be one with the design system and be instrumental in helping Trainual build a world-class system. You will work closely with our team of designers to ensure UI consistency and standards are met across all product initiatives.
You’ll work alongside a talented group of product designers, product managers, and engineers; that will challenge you from day one. You have keen attention to detail and you let nothing get in the way of creating an experience that will forever change how our customers view Trainual.
What you'll own and improve:
- Systems thinking: You're critical in making design decisions that apply holistically, making sure to look at new patterns in context to the larger system of the product, as well as ensuring we support patterns for new product lines and experiences.
- Design Facilitation: You’ll work closely with Product Designers and Engineers to provide real-time feedback on the patterns in use. You’re responsible for building and scaling the design system and ensuring consistency across all product lines. You understand when to introduce and use new patterns vs reusing existing ones.
- Systems Documentation: You will provide descriptive content that sets the tone and outlines what exists in the system. You will provide examples illustrating a component’s named variation, states, the Use Whens, Do’s, and Don’ts, and guidelines for visual, interaction, along with error states, and editorial.
- Creating together: Facilitating collaboration between product, design, and engineering is key so that we continue to evolve the design system alongside the needs of the product. You’ll manage design system initiatives and run design system meetings to create alignment with peer Product Designers and the various initiatives they are owning.
- Accessibility is Key: You are obsessed with Accessibility. You are the first person asking what the contrast ratio is, if alt-text exists, or whether the experience is keyboard-friendly.
- Usability Research: You will conduct research, support usability tests with various Product Designers, data analysis, and monitor user behavior to build usable components. You will test various patterns, components, and other UI elements to ensure the Trainual product leverages best practices.
- Systems Maintenance: You understand how to build a scalable system that promotes ease of use and can scale in a changing environment. You have strong attention to detail and ensure that the systems are up to date and current with all initiatives.
- Design Forward: Knowledge of the latest design concepts, emerging technologies, and other developments in the user experience and interface field.
- Relationship Management: This job, as with the other roles on a product team, is an individual contributor role. You will need to be able to influence your teammates, as well as colleagues, stakeholders, and key executives through sound logic and data. You have a data-driven approach to design and can always communicate how what you are doing will provide an incredible customer experience our customers will love.
What you already know:
- 2+ years of experience managing a Design System at scale across multiple product teams and/or product lines
- 3+ Years of experience working in a fast-paced Saas startup design environment in a product design or similar role
- How to establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards across all product offerings
- Translate layouts using reusable components within a Figma design system
- Proficient in providing real-time constructive feedback to peers on design best practices and suggestions to improve the overall success of the Trainual product.
- You have a deep understanding of atomic design principles
- You have knowledge of existing Design Systems that you admire, including Material Design, HIG, and a handful of others (Atlassian, Carbon, Tailwind, Shopify, etc.)
- How to do the following (UI): UI sketching, branding, color, typography, layouts, design research, animation, UI prototyping, interaction design, visual design, graphic design, micro animations and prototyping
- Understanding of the following (UX): use case definition, identify user problems, conduct user research, usability testing, prototyping, user modeling, and journey mapping
- Proficiency with the following design software: Figma, Sketch, Zeroheight, and Storybook
- Understanding of accessibility guidelines (WCAG, ATAG, ADA etc.)
- Understanding of prototyping UI interactivity and incorporating motion/animation into UI.
- How to present your research, designs, or solutions to key stakeholders internally to drive understanding and consensus
About the Team
Your leader is Taylor Sell, our Director of Product. You will collaborate with our talented team of Product Designers and our Lead Designer, Jen Fox to build and level up the overall experience and aesthetic elements of the Trainual product. You’ll join a growing no-ego design team that is always looking for new opportunities to learn and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment. We’re a team that is always transparent and you’ll take part in open discussion, feedback, and critiques with the broader design team.
Your ultimate goal is to create intuitive and delightful experiences that will forever shape how our customers leverage the Trainual product and provide an unmatched experience that will ultimately make Trainual the top Business Playbook software in the market.
*Remote option, Scottsdale, AZ preferred.
Benefits at Trainual
Competitive salary: We pay at or above market salary in most cases and leverage extensive amounts of data to ensure everyone is paid well.
Relocation: If you don’t live in the Phoenix area, but you think you’d love the mild winters, incredible food, and generous startup community, we gotchu. We’d be happy to offset your relocation costs to help you make the leap.
Health insurance: We cover 100% of the employee premiums and significantly subsidize family plans. We use Justworks to make benefits easy. We offer additional healthcare resources like RedirectHealth, OneMedical, FSA, and HSA. Plus all HSA compatible plans are met with a company HSA match of up to $1,000 a year.
Dental & vision: We offer subsidized dental and vision coverage.
Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance: We cover 100% of the premiums for Short Term Disability Insurance and 1x salary Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary disability and life insurance through our provider.
Paid Time Off: 4 weeks of paid vacation. 5 days of paid sick time. 12 paid holidays.
Paid parental leave, including adoption: 8 weeks of fully paid time off.
401k with a 3% matching through Guideline 401(k).
Experience stipend: Up to $500 per year to experience something new - whether that’s a new ice cream flavor or a new country.
Great tools: Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need.
Complete transparency: Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Values at Trainual
Show Up Ready: Plan enough to pull it off, and pivot if needed.
Make Ideas Happen: Execute on what you innovate.
Carry the Groceries: Carry extra weight without being asked.
No Red Tape: Work hard to make every process easy.
Collect Experiences: Have endless curiosity for a new perspective and knowledge.
Everyone has a Key: In results we trust.
Our SaaS platform helps fast-growing businesses create modern training manuals. Trainual allows businesses to document every process, policy, and SOP in one place so that they can automate their onboarding and training, stop repeating themselves, and scale faster.
Now we have over 5,200 customers in 177 countries and counting and we’re just getting started. I’m getting the feeling that you’re ready to click that apply button. So just do it. Join us in building the turnkey operations manual and playbook solution for companies all over the world! I know you want to.