The role, at a glance
We're pioneering an entirely new way to learn online — our classes are intensive, 30-day experiences focused on practicing and creating, not just passively watching videos.
Join us as one of our first UX Researchers and play a critical role in defining and growing our product as we continue to foster creativity around the world.
You'll join the design team and work across many types of brand and product initiatives at Monthly to more effectively and efficiently deliver products and experiences that fulfill student needs.
As a UX Researcher, you'll employ a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods to accomplish our goals, including surveys, focus groups, field studies, usability tests, and 1:1 interviews to synthesize actionable insights across growth, activation and retention initiatives. This is an amazing opportunity to pioneer research on learning psychology and behaviors that Monthly students from around the world embody. On the Monthly product and design teams, we strongly believe in putting our students first, sweating the details, and leveraging the broader team to shape our path forward as a product and as a business.
Monthly is a special place to work — we have an incredibly passionate and talented team, who really enjoys the work that they do each day. Come join us, and help us create a world where millions of people are more creative, fulfilled, and inspired.
About the company
Mission: Inspire creativity & empower a diverse community of learners around the world
Most of us have an itch to be creative — to make art, play music, shoot photos, write stories, build things, and find ways to express ourselves — but most of us leave our creativity behind as we enter adulthood, as we struggle to find the time and energy for these pursuits during our normal lives.
Creativity should be a lifelong experience. We believe that by bringing together the right structure, tools, and community, we can help everyone experience the creativity, camaraderie, and fulfillment of learning new things with others.
We have an incredibly talented and passionate team that is a lot of fun to work with. We're a small, energetic group and have accomplished more than teams 10x our size. Our interests are wide and deep — and we love to combine them.
Join us at a magical time:
We've hit profitability and product-market fit, which gives us the breathing room to focus on building the learning experiences of our dreams. You'd join at the perfect time to shape our brand and take our reach to the next level. We're just getting started.
Job details and requirements
- Work closely with product, design, and business teams to identify research topics.
- Lead research efforts and conduct multi-phase, mixed-method studies that deepen our understanding of the user experience and drive product strategy across growth, activation, and retention.
- Define, plan, and execute user research activities including but not limited to generative work (e.g., interviews, field studies, ethnography), evaluative work (e.g., usability studies, concept evaluations, benchmarking, heuristic evaluations), and summative or validation research.
- Derive insights from quantitative and qualitative data, complementing other research that you will conduct on your own or in partnership with other researchers.
- Identify actionable insights that not only build customer empathy, but also help teams make clear decisions about the product experience.
What we're looking for:
- 4+ years of UX research experience using both qualitative and quantitative methods with a track record of key contributions to successful digital products, preferably for consumer-facing products.
- Deep knowledge of many UX research techniques, including the strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Curiosity about, or an understanding of, learning psychology.
- Excellent storytelling abilities and facilitation skills.
- Comfort in performing all research-related cycle tasks — including requirements gathering, planning, recruiting participants, executing, analyzing, creating deliverables, forming solid product recommendations, and following up.
- Collaboration with cross-functional teams and being a strategic partner in product decisions.
- What benefits can I expect?
- Health, vision, and dental insurance.
- 401(k) to help you save for the future.
- 12-16 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Flexible vacation time.
- Flexible work hours.
- Monthly stipend.
- Team offsites (post-COVID).
- Unlimited Monthly classes for embracing your creativity.
This is a full-time role. We're a fully remote team distributed across the continental US.