Apply for this job
Are you looking for a chance to create a compelling UX voice for a burgeoning brand at the intersection of technology, food culture, and design? What about writing sharp and useful copy for mobile platforms, products, and experiences? Any experience there?
Great—we have the perfect opportunity for you!
ChowNow is unique among startups in the online ordering space. We make life easier for restaurants by offering online ordering tools that help them thrive. Everything the company builds puts eateries and their customers first—via websites, custom-made apps, Google, Facebook, Instagram, marketing, analytics, podcasts—wherever restaurants and modern diners connect. We think local and operate commission-free because we believe in being a fair, sustainable, and equitable partner to restaurants everywhere. Those same values are reflected in our workspace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. We pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners—something that’s never been done in our category. As we expand to new markets our opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If our vision, mission, and values speak to you, then we’d love to hear from you.
About the Position:
As our Senior UX Writer, you’ll partner closely with the product and brand teams to author clear, concise, and conversational text that helps restaurants and diners successfully utilize and navigate our products and experiences. As our leader in the UX writing space, you’ll also strategize with department leads to establish best practices for UX copywriting amongst your peers.
As a senior writer with the Design team, you will help guide the voice of ChowNow through product experience, B2B, and B2C UX writing. Working closely with a cross-functional team composed of designers, researchers, writers, engineers & QA, you’ll help us deliver exceptional experiences across both our restaurant and consumer-facing platforms. You will write engaging microcopy that conveys the humanity behind our mission and the usefulness of our suite of technology solutions and services.
We have a voracious appetite for data and insights, so you’ll be working with Product Management and Engineering teams, too. We believe in creating delightful, intuitive experiences based on industry standards rooted in data and research. We pay particular attention to the execution and effectiveness of the copy we produce, so form will be just as important as function. Intellectual curiosity and a collaborative approach to problem-solving will be key for this role!
This role currently reports into our Director of Content & Voice, and sits on the Design Team. You will primarily work remote with the option to work out of our Los Angeles headquarters.
Specifically, you will:
- Establish and refine the UX writing function as a whole across the company.
- Craft clear, enticing, and user-centric product copy for our product dashboard, consumer app, website, and additional experiences.
- Turn ChowNow brand ingredients into engaging and impactful microcopy that helps users quickly achieve their goals.
- Partner with our product, design, and QA teams to research, design, and create innovative new services and experiences for our restaurant partners and their customers.
- Learn from customer usage and leverage feedback and data to continually iterate, innovate, and evolve UX writing across our products.
- Work closely with Designers, Engineers, and Product Managers to define new UX writing opportunities.
- Communicate your thoughts and decisions effectively to the Executive team.
Within 30 Days You’ll:
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (remote) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products.
- Meet the brand, product, design, and engineering teams.
- Observe 4 product demos with the sales team to better know our customers.
- Demonstrate an ability to meet deadlines, ideate quickly, and apply copy guidelines.
- Complete your first wave of short-to-medium UX writing assignments.
Within 60 Days You’ll:
- Begin to evolve the form and function of UX copy within ChowNow’s Brand Voice guidelines.
- Define and present the metrics you’ll use to measure the success of future UX copywriting.
- Grow comfortable with communicating and presenting your strategic decisions with stakeholders and the broader team.
Within 90 Days You’ll:
- Talk to customers and the support teams to gain empathy for customer problems, needs, and mental models.
- Develop a robust UX copywriting process that allows for maximum alignment.
- Work with the brand and product department heads to officially establish the company’s UX copywriting guidelines.
- Ship your first medium-to-large project based on these guidelines.
You Should Apply If:
- You have a minimum of 6 years combined experience working at an advertising agency, digital agency, or in-house product department.
- Your portfolio shows the use of strategic insights and writing skills within B2B and B2C environments.
- You’re a highly motivated person who is self-directed and pays careful attention to detail.
- You’re an outstanding team contributor who is willing to give and receive feedback.
- You have the ability to conceptualize and communicate your ideas to stakeholders and evolve new initiatives within the organization.
- You have an understanding of what makes excellent copy, user experiences, and messaging.
- You have experience iterating rapidly and frequently to evolve a product, especially within consumer products, SaaS products, mobile applications, and interactive experiences.
- You have a deep understanding of how to frame common UX problems and know how to work with cross functional teams to synthesize new solutions.
- You obsess over details and are excited to polish until your work is perfect.
- You take risks, you are not afraid to fail, and you learn from mistakes.
- You’re always looking for inspiration and staying relevant with the latest apps, design trends, shifts in culture, innovations in communication strategies.
- You are full of creative ideas and capable of validating them through rapid prototyping and user testing.
- You are an engaging communicator, presenting ideas and concepts in a concise and thoughtful manner.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read here about your California privacy rights.