Mediacurrent is an open-source development and digital marketing agency that creates transformative digital experience platforms for enterprise, government, non-profit, and higher education organizations and their customers.
Since 2007, we have built a growing, sustainable company that believes in collaboration, education, and providing predictable results for our clients. Organizations such as The Weather Channel, PwC, New York Senate, Georgia Tech, Olympus, Habitat for Humanity, and Guardian Insurance have trusted Mediacurrent to solve their most complex digital and web challenges.
As a Mediacurrent UI/UX Designer you will play a key role in working with our design department on projects ensuring our clients and internal organizational needs are articulated through principles of layout, UI and UX design.
The UI/UX Designer shall be required to work with imagery, graphics, and typography to create balanced and cohesive layouts through fundamental design principles of composition. In this role, the designer will carefully consider page elements, including fonts, sizes, styling, spacing, imagery and positioning to create a clear flow of information for the user. The designer should have a comprehensive understanding of 960 and swiss grid systems and how those elements respond in multi-screen digital environments.
The UI/UX Designer shall also practice the fundamentals of translating business and functional requirements into comprehensive user journeys. Additionally, the UI/UX Designer will assist in keeping with established design standards and working with other design team members with the creation of best-in-class interactive, user experiences.
The UI/UX Designer is a liaison between the digital strategy and development teams. The individual in this role will have the opportunity to gain a large breadth of knowledge by working with experts in a cross-functional team environment.
The UI/UX Designer shall be empowered to make key design decisions using strategic insights, research, and understanding of the industry to build enterprise-level digital products. In this role, the designer will be a member of a project driven team where each member is given ownership of individual features and functions, and provides feedback on the whole team’s output.
- Guide clients and team in the project discovery and design process.
- Articulate the client’s vision.
- Follow best-practices that are centered in usability
- Design and develop user interface concepts
- Design and develop technical documentation for web applications.
- Shape the overall user experience of products to be as intuitive, compelling, and productive as possible.
- Perform ongoing research on emerging interactive design, front-end technology, and usability trends.
- Have a fundamental understanding of best practices in the area of web accessibility.
- Help with strategy documentation and usability testing.
- Help with community projects and development efforts for community contributions that center in usability and design.
- Quarterly releases of thought leadership content including blog posts, knowledge shares and webinars.
- Assist with design estimates for the marketing and sales teams.
- Develop user journeys, wireframes, and design prototypes to help define the overall user experience.
- Validate and iterate designs with target users.
- Translate business requirements into detailed design specifications.
- Attend status meetings with internal and external customers to discuss design project status and strategies.
Required knowledge, skills and experience:
- At least 3 years of experience designing business-oriented web applications for open-source content management systems
- Strong knowledge of the user-centered design process including usability, mobile-first approach, and the creation of user flows
- Proven experience developing wireframes, mockups, interactive prototypes, and UI diagrams of complex multi-state pages and functionality
- Experience in business analysis and requirements gathering
- A solid understanding of brand documentation and style guides and how to translate this to interface design
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud,, Sketch, and Invision
- Experience with Agile development methodologies. Scrum and Kanban in particular
- Champion product usability, design, and user experience
- Self-starter attitude and ability to work autonomously
- Adeptness at learning new technology and tools
- Excellent communication skills
- Detail oriented, strong analytical thinker, capable of making key decisions based on solid research and knowledge of the industry
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work on virtual teams
- Process driven with ability to modify approach
- Excellent time management, problem solving, and teamwork skills
- Positive, supportive, and fun individual are traits we desire
Valued knowledge, skills and experience:
- Accessibility thought leadership / knowledge
- Understanding of mar-tech, funnel, personas and customer journeys
- Functional knowledge in one or more of the following areas a plus: Marketing Automation Systems, Educational Verticals, E-Commerce.
Education or Certifications required: BFA in Graphic Design or equivalent professional experience.
Direct Reports: None
Physical demands and work environment: the job will be performed from any location that offers an Internet connection. Due to the nature of the professional services business model, the UI/UX Designer may be required from time to time to work more hours per day than the typical 8 hour day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mediacurrent provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mediacurrent complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates or employees reside. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.