tiney.co is an exciting new startup from an experienced founding team, including the founders of graze.com , TeachFirst and digital product design studio 383. We are building a new app driven marketplace and community in the Early Years education and childcare sector, on a mission to unlock the potential of every child.
We have recently closed a significant pre-seed fundraise and are now hiring for a designer to join our growing team.
What are we looking for?
As part of a small (but growing) team you’ll be working with our Chief Design Officer as person number 2 in the design team. As such, we’re looking for someone who’s not just interested in helping us deliver the best user experience possible, but someone who will have an active voice in the room as we shape our product and overall proposition as we grow.
Your primary role will be helping design the experiences we offer our users – across both web and app user interfaces. You’ll be the primary product designer working on new iterations of our app – helping us think through new features all the way from prototyping and testing to detailed UI work. You’ll be passionate about design systems and happy to work from, and improve, the initial design system we’ve been building.
On the web side you’ll be helping design new components and quickly prototype new pages. One day you might be working directly with our Marketing lead to develop landing pages and convert leads, others might be working with directly with our Community team to improve our provider data capture and conversion journey. In any scenario you’ll be quick to tune in to the customer problems or business goals that are being put to you by our team, and focused and communicative as you work toward solutions.
Due to our small team size we’re also looking for someone who’s able (and willing) to help with some of the broader design tasks that might come up. Although UI design will be your core skill, if you can also help produce print work, re-touch a photo, help with animation or artwork merchandise from time to time then all the better. Given our size we see breadth of these design skills as a real bonus. And, as a growing startup we see all design work as important work, so if you’re happy to be an enthusiastic design generalist from time-to-time then this role could be a great fit.
Previous Experience and capabilities
- Our primary design workflow is built around Sketch and InVision.
- You’ll be happy working from a design system and understand how to enrich this in collaboration with our engineers as the interface requirements grow
- Experience in understanding user analytics, optimising journeys and improving the overall performance of interfaces through interpreting data is a must.
- You’ll also be able to participate in end user testing, perhaps informing remote testing scripts or participating in more early stage customer interviews
- You’ll naturally work in a way where accessibility considerations are front of mind and an awareness of differing end user requirements are a top priority.
- If you’re comfortable in Creative Cloud, then demonstrating occasional Photoshop, After Effects and InDesign experience is a bonus.
- Experience of working in a lean and agile environment with evolving requirements and fast paced delivery
- Previous job experience working in early stage businesses where design experimentation and testing is commonplace would be preferable.
What’s in it for you?
- This is a fantastic opportunity to join an experienced founding team in an early stage venture backed organisation
- You’ll be part of a small team solving some genuinely unique problems in a sector that’s ripe for innovation and new technology
- In all likelihood you’ll be the second member of a rapidly growing design/product team over the next 12-24 months, so this is a great opportunity for someone to sidestep in to a new role, perhaps from other tech companies further ahead in their lifecycle.
- We offer a competitive salary and share options package as an early employee
- Flexible working hours and arrangements as part of a growing distributed team
- Remote candidates will also be considered for this role
Initial role structure:
- Most days you’ll be working closely with our our wider product team including our CDO, CTO, engineers and Head of Growth.
- Reporting in to the founding team and being an active participant in general product planning and business model sessions on a two weekly basis
- Working with our copywriter to ensure consistency across all elements of the user experience.
Please apply with a covering letter and work examples by 1st February.
Our core team are based in London however remote applications (preferably similar to UK timezone) will also be considered.
tiney is a pre-registered B-Corp, meaning we believe wholeheartedly in using business as a force for good. We’ve committed to meeting the highest social and environmental standards and are driven by a purpose to benefit all our stakeholders, not just shareholders. You can learn more at https://bcorporation.uk/
No agencies please!