Senior Digital Product Designer - Course Creation
Department: UX Research & Design Team
Product Team: Course Creation
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full time
Location: Remote (GMT +/- 2 hours), with optional London-based workspace
About the Role
We're looking for an enthusiastic and talented Senior Digital Product Designer to join our award-winning UX Research & Design discipline.
You will be an established design practitioner with strong analytical, craft and communication skills who can lead projects and proactively identify where you can make a positive impact. You will be working in our cross-functional Course Creation team, serving the business and our partners with the experience they need to be able to create, showcase and manage their courses on our platform.
This role is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to grow, working in a friendly, diverse, dynamic and mixed-discipline Ed-Tech environment.
- Work closely with product managers, the group design-lead, engineers and other stakeholders to understand the problem space and project requirements, and create forward-thinking solutions that push the boundaries and deliver successful outcomes for our users.
- Help drive user experience, interaction, and visual design throughout the entire project lifecycle; from initial idea generation, sketches, user flows and wireframes to the delivery of visually rich, inspiringly simple, and easy-to-use experiences that enhance our brand.
- Conduct user research, test designs with users, analyse the results and integrate changes into your design process, with guidance from our user experience researchers.
- Use competitor analysis, data and insights to decide on design and product directions, and to inform iteration and optimisation.
- Present your work at reviews and other situations to groups of people, taking on feedback and adjusting designs as required.
- Contribute to discussions about the product, championing the user experience and brand at all times.
- 5+ years of commercial experience.
- A high level of UX knowledge and practical design skills with real-world examples.
- Prior experience working on SaaS experiences, preferably B2B.
- Ability to solve problems using data and user research to inform decisions and evaluate solutions – to meet users’ needs and achieve business goals.
- Able to create stimulating and accessible experiences that evoke the right emotions for users.
- Ability to create, manage and facilitate workshops for the product team and wider stakeholders to ensure broad insight and understanding.
- Proficiency with information architecture - ability to effectively organise, structure and label content, data and navigation.
- Obsessed with the details of the user experience and can simplify complex processes into easy-to-use experiences.
- Ability to create prototypes to test theories, hypotheses and the usability of ideas.
- Ability to conduct user research to test and optimise the effectiveness of design solutions.
- Experience of working with, maintaining and contributing to design systems.
- Understanding of service design processes and principles.
- Ability to break down design to communicate impact, constraints and next steps to other team members.
- Strong awareness of current UX and design trends, techniques and patterns.
- You will love what you do, be committed to creating excellent work, showing motivation and energy to complete the tasks to the best of your ability, and developing your skills at every opportunity.
We will be looking for you to demonstrate the following competencies – appropriate to your prior experience.
- Collaboration: Comfortable working in a cross-discipline product team.
- Communication: Able to clearly explain things in a non-judgmental way.
- Initiative: Proactively explore and propose solutions.
- Curiosity: Display a strong desire to learn and understand.
- Design: Demonstrate a high level of design skill.
The Interview Process
We aim to make our interview experience as transparent as possible, and dependent on circumstances, we aim to follow the following process.
Step 1: Initial phone screen
You will have a first phone call with our Hiring Manager who will discuss the basics of the role and your expectations.
Step 2: First Interview
Your first interview will be with two members of the UX Research & Design team and will involve questions about your skills and competencies, as well as a chance to share 1 or 2 case studies from your portfolio.
Step 3: Second interview
Your second interview will be a continuation of the first, with a chance to meet with our Director of Design and another member of the team.
Step 4: Meet the team
This step is where you can meet some members of the cross disciplinary team who you might be working with.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working for all
- 28 days of Annual Leave plus UK Public Holidays
- Roll over up to 5 days Holiday
- Buy and Sell up to 5 days Holiday
- Westfield Health Cash Plan
- Personal ‘recharge’ days, no questions asked
- Personal budget for development and training
- 18 weeks of FutureLearn Maternity Pay and Adoption Pay (at your full basic pay)
- 6 weeks of FutureLearn Paternity Pay (at your full basic pay)
- Sabbatical Leave (up to 3 months of unpaid leave after 3 years)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Charity work – 1 day dedicated to a charity of your choice
- Calm Premium Subscription
- Free upgraded access on any FutureLearn short course and course fee waiver for Open University courses
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform formed in December 2012 by The Open University and is now jointly owned by The Open University and The SEEK Group. FutureLearn has over 14 million people signed up worldwide. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses, ExpertTracks and microcredentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees that improve working lives. It partners with over a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England (HEE). It’s also involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
FutureLearners live and breathe the company values and have a strong connection with our purpose, to transform access to education. We offer lots of flexibility and a cool work environment. At FutureLearn, we look after each other.
Please use our online form by pressing 'Apply for this job' below, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to come work with us. Please also include a link to your portfolio and your salary expectations
We value all the great benefits that diversity brings and encourage everyone to bring their whole self at work, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or disability.
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.