Lead Product Designer
About the Company
At Mattermost, we believe teams should be able to do their best work without compromising on privacy and security.
With data breaches in SaaS services happening more often than ever, our private cloud solutions let organizations keep their data under their control. Our flagship product is an open source messaging platform used in enterprises all over the world. With customers such as Uber, Affirm, and Samsung, the work you do here will impact thousands of organizations every day.
Learn more at https://mattermost.com/
About the Role
We’re looking for a Lead Product Designer to join us in building a world class user experience for our team collaboration product.
You will play an essential role in setting design direction, developing a growing team of designers, and leading them to execute on your vision. You will also have the opportunity to connect with our open source contributors to explore new ways to foster a community around design.
Our ideal candidate is a strong, multi-disciplined designer who has a demonstrated history of leading teams and creating great consumer experiences for desktop and mobile applications.
If you’re someone who is passionate about putting users first and driving excellence in design, then you’d be a great fit for our team.
Note: This is a remote role, working with Product Managers, Developers, and Designers who are also remote. Travel may be required up to 2-3 times per year for team meetups.
- Recruit, hire, grow, and manage a high calibre team of designers
- Drive design strategy and direction, and lead the team in creating intuitive and engaging user experiences
- Collaborate with product and engineering to ensure projects are well defined, high impact, and successfully executed
- Lead the development of best practices around user research and usability testing
- Own the evolution of our usability and design guidelines, and the development of a user interface kit
- Speak with customers and users to develop a deep understanding of their needs, and find ways to continually grow that understanding across the design team
- Foster a team culture that places a high value on excellence in design
- Build relationships across departments to raise the standard for good design throughout the company
- History of designing best-in-class user experiences
- 5+ years of hands-on design experience working on consumer apps, with 3+ years specifically working on mobile applications and 2+ years of experience leading design teams
- Strong background in interaction design, with a proven ability to coach and improve UX skills in other designers
- Strong visual design sense and an impeccable attention to detail, with a proven ability to manage visual designers developing user interface assets
- Extensive knowledge about best practices in the design industry, including research techniques and design validation
- Highly developed personal standards for what good design means, and the ability to drive a team to meet those standards
- Embody our company values: https://mattermost.com/about-us/#leadership-principles