Databento is a fintech startup building a modern web application that streamlines the buying and selling financial data.
We operate round the clock, between our office in downtown Boston and our remote teams across 5 timezones. Our team is looking for a User Experience Writer up for the challenge of crafting an intuitive and user-centered experience for financial data professionals. This is a remote, contractual role.
Who are we?
We started Databento in 2019 after spending years leading research, trading and data acquisition teams at top tier hedge funds and trading firms. Since then, we have raised $7.5 million in seed funding and have over 2,000 pre-launch signups. We provide full health and dental benefits, 401(k) matching, visa sponsorships, and support both remote and on-site work opportunities.
About the Position
As a User Experience Writer, you'll be working closely with our Product team.
We believe copy is a crucial part of design. We prize consistency but insist above all on clarity. We understand that while data content is unavoidably complex, it must always be clear. We don’t overload our clients with jargon and bloated language, instead striking a human, professional tone that supports users with just enough information. And we’re always looking for new ways to solve problems.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Crafting clear user-interface copy for experiences on our web application and documentation site to help users complete their tasks efficiently at all stages of the user journey.
- Champion a cohesive brand story for our products.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers to deliver compelling UX solutions.
- Define and document evolving content, brand, and voice/tone standards.
- Effectively balance multiple projects and deadlines.
- Consider problems from multiple angles while aligning work with overarching business and engagement goals.
- Be autonomous. You'll help promote an understanding for your discipline and the value it brings to the product development process. You'll communicate the strategic intent of your work in team meetings, presenting clearly to a broad group of colleagues.
Here’s the required qualifications for this role:
- 3 years of experience writing or editing content for the web and mobile experiences, as a UX writer, information architect, content strategist, or similar. Experience designing for B2B and SaaS tools are big pluses. Bonus if you have experience writing for self-serve platforms.
- Healthy obsession with detail, from capitalization and punctuation to nuances of word choice.
- Systems thinking for creating simple and elegant experiences for complex products.
- Holistic user experience thinking that considers every facet of the user journey.
- Ability to work independently, assess priorities, and balance your tasks─without hesitating to ask for help when needed.
- Problem solver for all kinds of users. You are constantly looking to hone your executions through user feedback.
- Collaborative spirit, strong interpersonal skills, and ability to cultivate relationships across roles.
- Industry knowledge in web applications used in financial institutions (such as Bloomberg, Factset or Eikon) or web API products (such as Stripe, Twilio, Plaid, Segment, Algolia or Agora).
- A portfolio that shows ideas expressed clearly across a range of touchpoints.
Our recruiting data suggests that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!