Sr. Director, Product Design
At Healthstream, Scheduling and Capacity Management (SCM), one of our leading differentiators is our drive for our products to enhance the lives of our customers. Our customers focus on delivering outstanding care to their patients our product experiences empower them with to realize this vision. We're seeking a Sr. Director of Product Design who is passionate about delivering highly-impactful user interface design and who cares deeply about delivering delightful experiences to our customers. The Sr. Director of Product Design contributes to a collaborative environment where the real business needs of the customer are understood and solutions are developed that satisfy those needs.
As a Sr. Director of Product Design, you'll be involved in all aspects of the product design process including engaging with customers and users, working with a team of designers to concept early-stage ideas, prototype workflows to test with customers, collaborating closely with product, engineering, and leadership peers, and other cross-functional groups within the team. This role will also work closely with product leadership across the product portfolio to ensure the product vision and strategy is fostered throughout all of our customer relationships and the healthcare market. This role will report directly to the VP of Product and works on all products across the product portfolio.
Approximately 10-15% travel is required to support partner and customer relationships; attend workshops, conferences, or trade shows; and work with offsite colleagues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OR RESPONSIBILITIES
(The below listed duties are not all inclusive. This position must also perform other duties as assigned.):
- Lead a team of product designers to design excellent, market-leading product experiences focused to deliver value based on a defined product portfolio vision and strategy
- Work with product management and other project stakeholders to elicit business requirements; collaborate on the development of metrics to determine product success
- Plan and conduct user research activities (surveys, interviews, usability studies, analytics reporting, pilot testing, etc.) to guide product design and ongoing improvements
- Create mockups, prototypes, and workflow diagrams as needed; ensure designs align with established patterns, user validation and research
- On an ongoing basis, focus efforts to deliver on the product roadmap for all products in the portfolio which balances long-term vision and time-to-market pressure with periodic marketable releases
- Leverage technical experience to communicate product needs to the development team; able to question/challenge development and QA resources to facilitate constructive brainstorming and solution design
- Work with distributed teams during development & QA to provide guidance and ensure business requirements and functional specifications are met
- Build strong business relationships across functional teams involved in releasing or supporting the solution to a ensure a smooth transition of new products and features into production
- Improve existing products and functionality to create a better user experience; update processes and workflows to accommodate changing business need
1. KNOWLEDGE/EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A minimum of 7+ years of industry experience in product design and product team leadership with a proven track record of success
- Preferred 5+ years of product design experience building B2B SaaS solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or equivalent in experience
2. SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Familiarity with project management principles, agile development principles and user experience design principles and methodologies
- Proficiency in one or more industry-standard prototyping tools (Figma, Sketch, Invision Studio, AdobeXD, etc.)
3. ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
- Ability to define problems & goals, map user flows, prototype interactions, and oversee the building process across different customer platforms
- Extensive experience shipping product experiences which are loved by the market.
- History of success in both launching new-to-the-market products, as well as scaling and optimizing products already in the market
- Experience leading a team of product designers in projects and processes from market insights, ideation and validation through implementation.
- Love for leading teams while simultaneously guiding and being directly involved in the work
- Experience leading and growing design-focused culture in an agile or lean environment
- Experience building partnerships with Product Management leaders, Engineering leaders, Product Marketers, Researchers, and Data Analysts
- Passion for driving both strategy and execution. Meticulous attention to detail applied to everything from strategic direction through to usability and aesthetics
- A deep understanding of customer problems to create elegant but practical solutions
- Thorough knowledge and experience across a range of design approaches, methodologies and well-versed in prototyping skills
- Initiative to identify problems and coordination with relevant teams to act on opportunities to improve the product offering
- Establishes high level of trust and credibility internally, with business partners, and with customers
- Resolves conflict to meet needs of organization and/or customer, while retaining or improving relationships with those involved
- Works within a multi-disciplinary, matrixed team with respect towards others and laser focus on successfully meeting organizational and team goals
- Motivates and leads both direct reports and non-direct reports using a “rally team” methodology
- Strong written & verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong collaboration skills across a cross-functional team to drive measurable change into products and across a product portfolio
- Ability to manage and work on multiple projects concurrently
HealthStream is an equal opportunity employer. HealthStream prohibits employment practices that discriminate against individual employees or groups of employees on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other category deemed protected by state and/or federal law.