Head of Product Design
Head of Product Design
We’re looking for a Head of Product Design to lead the Product Design team and help differentiate Andela’s marketplace platform through great design.
This is a pivotal moment in Andela’s mission to connect brilliance with opportunity. We’re building a next-generation platform that facilitates the connection between the global talent workforce (brilliance) and some of the best companies in the world (opportunity). We connect the world’s top companies with talented technologists to accelerate their careers, provide access to long-term growth opportunities, and help them become leaders in their communities. To date, we’ve brought tens of thousands of engineers into the global technology ecosystem, and we’ve only just begun.
In this role, you’ll lead a small-but-mighty team where you will own the whole of product design. We’re looking for a hands-on design leader with extensive experience working as part of a team to research, concept, and design a slew of world-class products—both internal and external—that support Andela’s vision. We have no shortage of fascinating and complex challenges that can only be solved by someone with innate product & UX sense, technical aptitude, great taste, impeccable craftsmanship, and stellar stakeholder management skills. As the design org matures, you will be responsible for building and leading a world-class Product Design team while delivering exceptional customer experiences for all Andela users.
If this sounds like you, keep reading—we want to hear from you! We are a fully remote company and you can truly live anywhere while doing this job. English fluency is required.
This role will report to the VP of Product.
- Own and champion the end-to-end user experience of Andela’s marketplace platform
- Build and lead a team of product designers as the company rapidly scales; owning recruitment, retention, and career development of your team
- Contribute to the development of Andela’s product strategy, thinking beyond screens and designing for the ecosystem in which our product exists today
- Use human-centered design and design thinking to translate complexity into a user-friendly experiences through user research, journey mapping, wireframing, prototyping, and elegant UI design
- Establish and own relationships with business stakeholders across the company, building consensus through collaboration across teams
- Design UX concepts that balance vision, craft, speed, and business potential alongside a small group of talent product designers
- Partner with our PMs to formulate and conduct usability and A/B tests to understand the successes and failures of different design decisions around our client experience
- Partner effectively with marketing creative and brand strategy to ensure cohesion of the Andela brand and design experience across all user journeys
- Act as subject matter liaison and lead conversations with engineering teams, product managers, design teammates, marketing and sales teams, and key business stakeholders; establish and maintain credibility throughout the company and with our users
- Advocate for an integrated, consistent UI throughout the product, and for a cohesive set of design principles and patterns
- Drive the maintenance and evolution of our component library
- Be yourself
In the first week:
- Onboard and integrate into Andela.
- Learn about Andela’s existing product suite.
- Become acquainted with your area of focus, peers, stakeholders, and your product design goals.
In the first month:
- Work closely with Product & Design to understand the user experience, product strategy, and high level road map; start to formulate your design roadmap and backlog.
- Form relationships with your team of designers, your close collaborators in product/engineering, as well as your business stakeholders (e.g., product marketing, talent operations, customer success, and sales teams).
- Formulate a 30/60/90 day plan
- Work with your team to understand where you can best step in to help and take over any current research, design, and testing initiatives.
In the first three months:
- Incorporate, facilitate, and evangelize design thinking to solve complex problems and bring along your teammates in doing the same.
- Collaborate with PMs to research, design, and test initiatives for the next major product release.
- Research, design, and test new UIs and features that deliver high business value.
- Formulate a strategy for hiring + scaling the Product Design team in 2022.
- Establish deeper relationships with PM and engineering teams and take ownership of any gaps that may exist between design and development.
- Establish design KPIs and collaborate with PMs to monitor the success (and failures!) of the user experience, using tools like FullStory.
- Run design reviews with stakeholders and push the adoption of a seamless user experience that exceeds expectations and supports the product roadmap.
- Foster a culture of communication, collaboration and growth.
- Establish yourself as a key player within Andela.
In the first six months:
- Support PMs and engineers in delivering against company and product goals.
- Continuously challenge teammates to move past the status quo.
- Continue to build and scale your team.
- Work alongside PMs to continuously re-evaluate the roadmap and proactively respond to changing market and business priorities.
- Work with PMs and engineers to continuously improve the design ⇄ development process within your team.
- Deliver, inspire success, and motivate your team.
In the first year:
- Continue to craft and communicate the product and design strategy and plan for expansion beyond present day.
- Deliver, deliver, deliver! You are a trusted and highly valued Andelan and the team relies on you to consistently deliver high quality user experiences and elegant UIs that create value for our users.
- Collaborate with PMs to uncover new product opportunities and actively contribute to the overall Andela product direction.
- You have 5+ years of experience leading Product Design or UX/UI teams (preferably at startups), and 10+ years of prior experience as a product designer at a software company, marketplace or B2B SaaS preferred.
- You’re an experienced manager and mentor who helps others grow while maintaining high standards for work.
- You are obsessed with user experience, never settling for ‘good enough’ and inspiring others on the team to do the same.
- You are comfortable in the early stages of product development, working through ambiguity to define new and exciting features.
- You have a strong understanding of how to design a lean MVP and can work with PMs to continuously evolve product experiences and features.
- You come equipped with a stunning portfolio that displays a spectrum of innovative design solutions from concept to production and problem-solving skills. Applications without portfolios will not be considered.
- You have strong beliefs that are loosely held. You're a good listener who collaborates well with different stakeholders. You observe and internalize all inputs and feedback to help you reach an optimal decision.
- You have strong project management skills with the ability to identify and communicate blockers, next steps, and progress.
- You are comfortable working with distributed teams across multiple time zones.
- You have mastered most of the typical design tools—especially Figma.
- Fully Remote work culture
- A fair and competitive salary
- Bring your own device stipend - buy your own laptop with funds from Andela
- Quarterly work from home stipends
- Paid time off
- Additional paid holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Health insurance (country-specific)
- 401k (US only)
- Andela Affinity Groups
- And more!
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.