Senior UX Researcher
At Apartment List, we’re on a mission to find every renter a home they love at the value they deserve. As the fastest-growing online rental marketplace, our platform takes the time to understand renters’ preferences and seamlessly finds their perfect match while aligning incentives with our properties on-site. To date, we’ve helped nearly 1 million families find a home they love, and we’re just getting started. Join us!
About the role
Renting is the largest expense for the average household, and finding the right place can often be overwhelming and stressful. At Apartment List, we are building an easy, delightful, and effective apartment search experience that will make millions of renters’ lives better by making this process less of a burden.
As a Senior UX Researcher on the team, you will collaborate with Product, Design, Analytics, and Engineering to create high-quality experiences for renters and properties. You will bring the power of insights to drive design and business decisions. You will be empowered by people-first, empathic culture to conduct research that impacts product experiences to help millions of renters find the home they deserve!
In this role, you can expect to
- Lead and conduct thoughtful generative and evaluative research to guide strategic and tactical product decisions. Proactively drive your own research roadmap to answer the most impactful questions for your team, balancing strategic, foundational research with tactical research support. Utilize the most appropriate research methods to uncover insights to deliver actionable recommendations.
- Develop mixed method research studies that include the stakeholders in every step of the process from study concept to insight delivery. Produce research artifacts that are human, engaging, concise, and actionable to inform what we’re learning about customers and what we should do about what we learn. Communicate research insights to stakeholders in compelling and creative ways, using qualitative and quantitative data to inspire change in all stages of product development.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders from Product, Design, Analytics, and Engineering to understand our customers and unearth problems we should focus on. Shape learning objectives and prioritize opportunities to ensure UX research helps us meet strategic business and user experience goals.
- Help build robust research processes that empower Product and Design partners to conduct their own research. Effectively collaborate, encourage and mentor other team members and mentor cross-functional partners to develop their research craft.
- Act as a champion for high caliber user advocacy throughout Apartment List and champion our customers first in all decisions. Relentlessly advocate for customers and evangelize user research throughout the company.
To thrive in this role, you have
- 5+ years of user research experience for consumer products that have digital experiences. You quickly and independently designed research studies that have positively influenced user needs and business metrics. Bonus if you have experience leading foundational research to inform new product experiences from the ground up.
- Demonstrable experience guiding teams toward focusing on the most critical research questions to answer. You defined key research questions and objectives, identified appropriate methods, executed studies, and synthesized findings. You translated findings into strategic business recommendations with a strong portfolio that illustrates your contribution.
- A pragmatic approach in designing research in a dynamic, fast-moving environment. You are a self-starter with a “tinker” demeanor that proactively drives explorations. You have experience conducting various research methodologies such as survey writing, user interviews, usability testing, journey mapping, and remote research.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, proactively initiating research with cross-functional stakeholders. You have strong communication and collaboration skills and extensive experience partnering seamlessly with cross-functional partners. You are a compelling storyteller with strong presentation skills and a proven high bar for quality and attention to detail.
- A natural curiosity for people and what makes them tick. You have an innate curiosity about human behavior to understand why people behave the way they do.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed, we encourage you to apply.
Apartment List is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.